FORUMS: list search recent posts

Black level errors in transcode from R3D to ProResHQ

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Munch
Black level errors in transcode from R3D to ProResHQ
on Dec 29, 2009 at 7:08:18 am

Hello, can anyone advise me why I am experiencing apparent black level errors in transcoding 4K 16:9 R3D files to ProRes HQ 1920x1080? I did some of my early transcodes in RedRushes using an older and slower computer, and the resulting transcodes looked correct. Now that I have a faster setup (MacPro 2.2 ghz 8-core, 12 gigs ram, Promise SmartStor Raid5 4-disc array connected via eSata), the ProRes Quicktime transcodes look darker and have a different color balance, even though I am using the identical settings in RedRushes (1920x1080 ProRes HQ, debayer HalfRes Standard, colorspace and gamma RedSpace, look source Camera, resample filter Lanczos sharp, window burn with reel/filename and ext/TOD TC). I have previously encountered the problem of Quicktime clips looking darker than their R3D counterparts when using the Final Cut Red log-and-transfer importer, and was advised it was a limitation of that plug-in, but am baffled why the RedRushes software is exhibiting this problem. Any advice would be much appreciated. P.S. I am definitely experiencing this with identical clips, identical settings, and the same build of RedRushes. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Black level errors in transcode from R3D to ProResHQ
on Dec 29, 2009 at 12:36:59 pm

How do you monitor?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Dec 29, 2009 at 3:17:37 pm

COuld this be SNow Leopard GAMMA compared to Leopard Gamma?

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Chris Munch
on Dec 29, 2009 at 4:56:14 pm

Thank you for suggesting that. Probably the case, as I previously had used 10.5 OS and am now using 10.6 on the new computer. Am monitoring on an older Cinema Display set to 2.2 gamma. But does the OS gamma affect the way the ProRes file are written? Because I can compare the same transcoded clip, new and old versions, side by side and they exhibit a difference.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]