FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed RED/ProRes workflow - FCP to AE CS3

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Dunn
Mixed RED/ProRes workflow - FCP to AE CS3
on Nov 30, 2009 at 7:13:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I hope someone can help me here with a bit of advice.

I am currently working on a project which contains both RED footage and ProRes footage converted from TIFF sequences. I have cut in FCP no problem using ProRes HQ as per RED's workflow advice. All is great so far.

Now I have a fair amount of masking and colour correction to do before I finish my project. Ideally I want to do this in AE CS3 as I'm much more proficient with masking and the general interface than any other program. I have exported an XML using automatic duck and AE has picked this up no problem, bringing in the mixed format project without much fuss.

What I now need to do is make sure I'm working in the best possible colour space at the best possible quality and I could do with some advice. I'll be finishing the project in 720p probably in multiple formats as this will likely be presented in different manners over the years. Firstly, though it will be shown on plasma monitors.

I've set the project to 32bpc and had a look at some of the colour space options. I'd imagine rec. 709 could be the option here, but it seems to shift the gamma a fair bit.

Any advice on this at all would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Alex

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Mixed RED/ProRes workflow - FCP to AE CS3
on Dec 1, 2009 at 2:46:09 am

Kinda depends on where it's going- at this point it's less about RED since it's already burned into ProRes anyway. If you're going for broadcast HD- use REC 709, if it's destined for film, get the film bureau's LUT, etc.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Alex Dunn
on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:35:36 am

Thanks for responding Noah,

I thought this could be the case. The problem I have with it is the gamma shift that happens when changing to rec 709. Makes it a fair bit darker and contrasty. Is there any way to prep the footage better for this? Or any other settings that might help me out that I'm missing?

Alex

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 1, 2009 at 3:02:58 pm

Well you should be correcting against that shift. REC 709 is the profile that shows you what it will look like going out to HD broadcast. Though in truth it's important to be gauging any of this on a broadcast monitor and not just your RGB computer desktop.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]