FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED: is it ok to use the proxys for commercials

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcel Lee
RED: is it ok to use the proxys for commercials
on Nov 16, 2009 at 10:00:32 pm

Hi everyone, I work for an agency in Jamaica. I recently made the switch from PC to MAC and i have to say i am loving it, anyhow is it a ideal to edit using the RED proxy files. Please take into consideration that i mostly edit commercials and short features. no long documentaries. Also, i would like any body's opinion on a good workflow for working with red in after effects.
My machine specs
Mac Pro 2.67 Intel 8 Core
12gig ram
1 tera drive stat (sorry no raid)

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RED: is it ok to use the proxys for commercials
on Nov 17, 2009 at 8:17:13 am

I wouldn't use proxies for the final product, rather use ProRes on a Mac if native processing seems like overkill. But in the end it depends on the client's demands…

The workflow depends on which editing app you prefer:

You can edit with Premiere Pro directly from R3Ds or you can edit in FCP and transfer via Premiere into After Effects. In the latter case make it a simple edit in FCP and add all FX (including speed changes and the like) in AE.

Or you can do a rough cut in FCP with proxies and move it over with the help of Clipfinder (free).

There's more than one way to skin a cat, in particular with RED…

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Marcel Lee
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:19:40 pm

Thanks
A more specific question. In jamaica pretty much everything is standard def 720x480, unlike the US we have not been standardize to HD. However strange enough alot of our clients want their project shot on the RED. Right now I figured a proper workflow for RED for a big budget shot where you would transcode to native for you final edit. Is ok if I just use the Pro Res files for file color and export if I going to output to SD. I know it sounds lazy of me but i have to have a hi turn over for my projects.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 17, 2009 at 9:18:09 pm

Well, first of all, RED is giving you more cinematic images than video even in SD. Why else would anybody have been shooting on 35mm for TV commercials before there was HD?

There's nothing wrong with finishing in ProRes if you do a proper first light correction where needed. You need to understand that you loose some bit depth when going from R3D to ProRes (with the exception of ProRes 4444) which you can't recover in Color if not grading RAW. But TV will end up as 8 bit anyway, so just get it in the ballpark before transcoding and you can still do your sweetening in Color.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Marcel Lee
on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:40:53 pm

Much Thanks Uli Plank

Return to posts index

Marcel Lee
on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:59:40 pm

What are the benefits of transcoding to native vs. Pro Res 4444 for your final edit and color sweetening. All the publications i have read so far say there is no lost in bit depth for Pro res 4444. So far i have been tinkering with the different codecs, I am correct to assume that the size of the files is the issue verus the smaller size of the native.
i know these all may sound like the questions of an novice of RED........and trust they are. RED has slowly made its way into the market here in Jamaica, and I have to get a efficient workflow down. I work for an ad agency that i need to have a fast turn over time. on top of that there is a ridiculously short output time from the point of approval of a finish edit. usually the output has to be the same day.
Right now this is my flow chart that i have come up with while at the same time trying to learn all i can about RED.

Copy redcode directories to drive and back up
import proxy files into timeline. (i work on short features or 30 sec commmercials 90% of the time so i hope this not a problem)
Edit , and GFX from AE and Basic grading in colour (yes thats how we Jamaicans spell Colour, old english)
Export for viewing
Make edit adjustment if necessary
then if approved trans code to Pro Res 4444 or native (not sure which one i should use) colour then final export.
If any one can point out any faults with this workflow please enlight my darkness, just take into account that time is an issue. i honestly can't afford the trancoding time too much, as much as i would like to sit back and relax during the transcoding process.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 18, 2009 at 9:34:17 pm

What's your average shooting ratio?

Return to posts index

Marcel Lee
on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:05:24 pm

2:1

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]