FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resample question - best option for chroma keys?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul McDonald
Resample question - best option for chroma keys?
on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:42:27 am

Hello everyone,

I'm just prepping some material for my first really serious bit of Red-sourced chroma keying and have a query about the best resample filter option to use out of Red Alert.

I have a rough idea of how most of the filter options work and look from my Shake transform time. My gut instinct with Red is to keep it sharp and preserve as much of the fine edge detail as possible. I typically use the Lanczos option when transferring. I'd love to hear people's opinions as to which is most appropriate for chroma key material, which gives more natural looking keys. My only concern with Lanczos is that it may make the edges too brittle.

Original material is 4096x2304 and I'm taking that down to 2048x1152 DPX sequences for the comping.

Thanks for reading,
Paul McDonald

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: Resample question - best option for chroma keys?
on Nov 13, 2009 at 5:40:01 am

In your situation I would run a simple test.

Pick a frame and save a DPX of that frame with any of the various settings and then open the stills in your comping software and see what keys best.

Remember that RED doe NO sharpening in the camera. THis is all left to the user to tweak. Typically a touch of sharpening is added to any final render to liven it up a bit.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]