FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED and FCP Editing

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vanessa Pimentel
RED and FCP Editing
on Nov 11, 2009 at 10:42:08 pm

Hello,

I would like to ask you somethings about RED and FCP editing. This is a documentary project that is going to be shooted and edited at the same time and I realy need to know if this is the appropriate working procedure:

The film will be shooted in: 4K HD - 16/9 - RC 28 at 25fps

Shooting phase
Everyday shooting and copy to 2 different External HD (backup and working copy);
Import the proxy files into FCP (log and transfer - is there another way?);
Edit FCP with the proxy files on a MBP

Editing phase
Edit FCP with the proxy files on a G5 QuadCore 2.5GHz and 4.5 GB RAM (no SATA Card)

Online phase
Export a XML to Color and conect to 2k files on a Mac Pro

The production wants to buy one of these two MBP for the shooting phase, wich one is suitable for the offline?

15-inch: 2.66GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
250GB hard drive 5400rpm
SD card slot
Built-in 7-hour battery2
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics + 9600M GT with 256MB

or

15-inch: 2.8GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory
500GB hard drive 5400 rpm
SD card slot
Built-in 7-hour battery2
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics+ 9600M GT with 512MB

+

Express Card SATA - Sonnet (Can I link this Card on the MBP SD Slot?)

+

External HD D2 Quadra 1TB LACIE or other? (witch one)

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
Re: RED and FCP Editing
on Nov 12, 2009 at 1:53:40 am

[Vanessa Pimentel] "Edit FCP with the proxy files on a G5 QuadCore 2.5GHz and 4.5 GB RAM (no SATA Card)"

Can't be done. You need an Intel mac to use the Red Proxy files.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Vanessa Pimentel
on Nov 12, 2009 at 2:15:48 am

Thank you Arnie.

Ok, is it also impossible if I the transcode to Apple Pro Res 422, regarding the online (matching the 2K files with a XML)?

And what about the MBP tech specifications?

Thank you,
Vanessa

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:21:53 am

The newer MBPs in 15" can't use Express Cards any more, you'll need the 17" to use it.

Regarding the G5: You'll need Intel power for transcoding, and transcoding to online quality will take forever with any MBP.

Sorry, but there is low-budget and there is no-budget: Without access to an Intel Mac Pro at least for transcoding I can't imagine a serious production with RED.

Plus, you may want to get the book by Noah Kadner.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Vanessa Pimentel
on Nov 12, 2009 at 11:29:17 am

Hey Uli,

Thank you for the advice, but the online phase will be on a mac pro.

This is a low budget. This will the shootings of two different documentaries at the same time and they're going to be edited also at the same time, one on the mac pro and the other possibly on a G5 or on the MBP I was asking about. Anyway the transfer will always be done on the MBP, that's why I asked about the Apple Pro Res 422 and G5.
Then came up another question, if I'll work in Pro Res 422 will I need the Express card SATA or can the fw 800 do it? and how long will it take to transcode per min?

Thank you,

Vanessa

Return to posts index

Arnie Schlissel
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:31:44 pm

If you're limited to working with these computers, you really should consider using a P2 or HDV camera instead. If you must shoot with the Red, then you should also be willing to upgrade to computers that can handle it. Otherwise, you'll be in for a world of pain.

Arnie

Post production is not an afterthought!
http://www.arniepix.com/

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 12, 2009 at 8:15:24 pm

If you have access to a MacPro for transcoding only and you transcode to 1280 by 720 in DVCProHD with 1/4 debayer, it will be near realtime (about 20 fps on my Xeon under Clipfinder).

And DVCProHD will be fine for offline on a G5 and Firewire drives. Even a G4 could handle it.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Vanessa Pimentel
on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:54:53 am

Thanks to everyone who respond to my posts.

I will edit on the new MBP 17'' with an Express Card SATA sonnet
The external HD are still in discussion, but I was advised to work with LACIE D2 Quadra 1TB each (using eSATA).
Then I'll do the online on a MacPro 8 core.

The documentaries will be shooted on 4K HD RC28 25fps, wich will be arround 84GB/hour footage. I'll have a maximum 10 hours in total.

Thank you,
Vanessa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]