Red Music Video Broadcast Issues

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Gill
Red Music Video Broadcast Issues
on Nov 11, 2009 at 10:33:20 pm

Hi All

Hope you can help.

I've shot a number of music videos on RED which are broadcast on a Satellite TV network. The station only outputs in DV Pal so the video is then exported onto Mini DV and sent to the station. (As far as I know they ingest it into FCP).

What's really baffling me is that the quality when on TV looks awful (fuzzy/pixellated)...almost as if it's a YouTube video on full screen. This has happened to all the video's I've shot!

I'm using CS4 to edit and usually export it from AE as an Animation (which looks brill) or DV Pal file (that looks dreadful) and then print to tape in Premiere or FCP. The network broadcasts other vids shot on RED which are fine. Does anyone know why this could be.

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,
Zain

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Red Music Video Broadcast Issues
on Nov 12, 2009 at 2:53:11 pm

Do more testing with the network. Perhaps you're missing a conversion step somewhere or not giving them the exact right format. But DV is what it is- crappy compared to 4K.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Mike Gill
on Nov 12, 2009 at 11:29:42 pm

Hi Noah

Thanks for getting back.

I've tried the network several times and they haven't been very helpful.

I'm editing the R3D files directly in Premiere. I know in FCP you need to convert them first. Is this the case with Premiere too then?

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Regards,
Blaise

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:05:01 pm

If your conversion to a PAL DV file looks awful, then that's the place to start looking. Have you tried putting the output from AE onto a PAL DV Timeline in FCP and rendering? You have to examine the quality all along the chain to see where something is going amiss.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Nov 25, 2009 at 11:18:39 pm

When you print to tape from your system, what tape format are printing to? and, are 100% sure that the tapse you are sending to the TV network is quality-perfect?

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]