FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying New Camera

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
elijah stanfield
Buying New Camera
on Nov 10, 2009 at 7:50:24 pm

I'm a bare bones, one man-crew producer.
I'm looking to buy a new camera setup with a budget of $50,000. The RED obviously looks like a good choice, but I find it hard to get straight answers to simple questions from RED and purchasing all the pieces seems to be pretty complicated. I'm afraid I'll end up buying stuff I don't need.
I'm also looking at a Weisscam, which seems like it's got a pretty simple, but super cool setup.
What are the advantages of each. Cost, workfolw, ect?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Buying New Camera
on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:05:22 pm

I wouldn't bother with the Weisscam unless high speed cinematography is really critical- and even then I'd just suggest renting a Phantom instead. Such a small user base you'll have little 3rd party or tech support outside of the company itself.

All the truly simple stuff is already answered on RED's website. Ask a specific question and we'll be happy to help you out as fellow owners. Also if you want to get up to speed really quickly on RED and all the options and workflows and you have about $35 to spare, my book would be a big help to you:

RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Buying New Camera
on Nov 10, 2009 at 10:44:17 pm

I can recommend the book too, and no, I don't make money with it ;-)

RED adheres to standards, like PL-mount, Arri rods and V-mount power. So, basically you only need to buy the RED itself and an LCD or viewfinder from Red – most everything else can be bought or rented from third parties, sometimes in better quality or rented. Have a look at "Accessories for RED One" in the forum.

Specific questions always welcome, but you can't expect full counselling on your complete purchase – this is something I do for money.

Best regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]