FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Blending Jitter in 2K RED

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Swanson
Frame Blending Jitter in 2K RED
on Nov 7, 2009 at 12:22:27 am

We have some footage that was shot on the RED One (2K, REC709, ISO 500, Color 5600, 23.98) and we have a lot of frame blending jitter. I know that the camera is natively an ISO of 320, so the footage is underexposed. I believe they were over-cranking the camera to 100 fps on set for slow motion playback. The problem is most pronounced on exterior footage shot in the shade with a decent amount of movement. The result of this apparent frame blending is a bad flicker most noticeable on the subjects' white collar. Does anybody know how to decrease the effects of frame blending? Am I just transcoding it wrong? I can see it when I look at the raw R3D file in RED Alert. Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Frame Blending Jitter in 2K RED
on Nov 7, 2009 at 3:53:05 am

It's really hard to tell without actually seeing an example- flicker is one of those terms that means different things to different people. Can you post a short H.264 example?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 7, 2009 at 8:25:30 am

Yes, please post an example.

RED is not doing any frame-blending, at least as I know the term it's referring to slo-mo (or other speed changes) done in software.

Could it be an artificial light source @60 Hz? 100 fps doesn't fit too well with that…

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Brian Swanson
on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:43:03 pm

I can't post a clip, but this frame grab should show you the issue. This is the collar of the subject's shirt. He is walking from left to right and the camera is panning with him until the end of the shot. It is shot outside during the day at a "slow motion" framerate, probably 100fps. This problem is most evident in whites, as seen on this collar. You can see it seems like two different images are being blended together. It creates a strange flickering on the collar when played back, which is very evident when played on a broadcast monitor, less evident in FCP or Quicktime, but you can see it if you are looking for it.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:13:46 pm

Can't you just post a few seconds to Vimeo or something? That looks like motion blur of some sort or perhaps a major focus problem- but it's kinda impossible to help out without seeing something of a clip.

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]