FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing RED footage - on a MacBook Pro?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tyler McPherron
Editing RED footage - on a MacBook Pro?
on Nov 6, 2009 at 1:13:33 am

Hi,

I'm looking for a little input on the possibility of editing 4K RED footage on a new MacBook Pro. I'm pretty familiar with the HD world, but I have yet to work with any footage from the RED.

I have a MacBook Pro: 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM with a 500GB hard drive @ 7200 rpm. I'll be working with the new Final Cut Studio.

What will I be looking at as far as data rate with the RED video files? Will be able to playback fully rendered Red footage in my timeline?

I realize I will have a bit of workflow to get under control working with the RED, so any helpful links or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Editing RED footage - on a MacBook Pro?
on Nov 6, 2009 at 7:42:54 am

Are you thinking about offline editing or online quality ?

What is your final delivery format ?

An MBP is fine for offline editing, very limited for transcoding and pretty much unuseable for onling cinema (other than very short clips).

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:12:32 pm

I'd grab my book (naturally) I go over several scenarios specifically in FCP. Here's a sample from that chapter:

http://ptgmedia.pearsoncmg.com/imprint_downloads/peachpit/peachpit/download...

You will be facing major render times and lots of waiting on a MBP. An ideal system would be a desktop with a RED Rocket accelerator card. But you can definitely complete a project with an MBP alone, as long as you have lots of patience.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Nov 25, 2009 at 11:26:32 pm

We've edited a set of 4 RED commercials on a Macbook Pro. The offline editing with the proxies was pretty smooth. But once we got into a bit heavier rendering of offline graphics with the proxies the speed really slowed down.

Then we tried to do a digital-online from the proxies to Full Res Debayer ProRes QTs (the only way to go) and I swear I saw smoke coming out of the poor Macbook Pro.

We stopped and switched to a MacPro. Needless to say, we'll never do it again.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]