FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED (h) files for HDCAM sr layoff ?!!

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
RED (h) files for HDCAM sr layoff ?!!
on Nov 4, 2009 at 3:14:31 pm

Hey RED friends,

I have been asked to put to tape some files which were created after media managing a fcp project - all that remains of the footage are these media managed (H) RED QT files - all the original R3D as well ProRes transcoded media have been wiped away and now they want whatever can be salvaged to be put to tape.

When i open them up in qt it says its:

REDCODE 1920x1080 & 1024x576 @ 23.98 so my question whether or not its ok to render out the sequence as ProRes hq and then lay to HDCAM sr at either 23.98 or 29.97 on the fly with blackmagic /fcp adding pulldown.

I know is not good practice or recommended but its literally all that remains of the footage!

would love to get some thoughts from people.

cheers

sean

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED (h) files for HDCAM sr layoff ?!!
on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:05:46 pm

Well wait a second- the proxies won't play without the R3D files, all they are are media aliases. If you have a version of the project that's media managed I'd guess it's all ProRes. Hopefully at 1080p and then you play those right out. Pulldown is optional with HDCAM SR- isn't it? If so- I'd stick with 24p assuming that was how the footage was shot.

And please please please tell any and all involved that wiping away R3D files is like throwing away your original negative. Never, ever do this...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]