FORUMS: list search recent posts

sharpness

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Orange
sharpness
on Nov 1, 2009 at 8:05:48 am

Hi there

Need to view and checkout sharpness R3D files on Macbook Pro.
Where best is this done?

thanks in advance
Joe

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: sharpness
on Nov 1, 2009 at 3:46:43 pm

REDCINE or RED Alert!

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 1, 2009 at 4:00:03 pm

Get Clipfinder (donationware), it has a loupe and allows annotations which transfer into FCP.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Joe Orange
on Nov 1, 2009 at 5:37:19 pm

Thanks guys and being new to all this, apologies for asking such banal and even stupid questions, which brings us nicely on to the next one.

In Red Alert the footage plays so slow that it's difficult to tell where motion blur ends and any possible focus issues begin.
How do you know if/when a clip is playing at proper speed ie 23.98fs?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 1, 2009 at 7:53:52 pm

If you want to see full speed playback- my suggestion would first of all make sure you have fast enough hard drives. Firewire 800 or eSATA RAIDs would be the minimum recommendation for a MacBook Pro. As far as full speed- you should be able to view the medium sized proxies at 24fps on a MacBook Pro with a decent processor and fast drives. Otherwise, render to 1080p H.264 and you'll be able to see full speed playback. Beyond that, you'll want to setup a more powerful desktop machine with more options if you plan to do a lot of RED work. (shameless plug follows:) My book gives a lot of tips on how to set this up btw... :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Joe Orange
on Nov 2, 2009 at 8:21:10 am

Thanks for that Noah.
The hard drive is an internal 7200rpm.

In Clipfinder, the fps column must refer to what it was actually shot at, right?
If so, is it possible to have slow mo in 3k @ 24fps as I was under the impression it should have been 50fps?

BTW Noah, Your book is on the button and I have it but for now I'm some way off getting an 8 core, so just checking what's been shot before approaching the next bridge.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 2, 2009 at 2:30:16 pm

You need to understand that only a machine with RED Rocket can currently play back at full size and full speed. So, currently it's difficult to check focus in motion on weaker hardware…

Regarding slo-mo: you project settings are like a projector in theatre, they refer to playback. Shooting slo-mo means shooting more frames per second (varispeed), but playing back at standard speed – just like film. This IS in Noah's book too.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Joe Orange
on Nov 2, 2009 at 8:01:41 pm

But where can one find out how many fps a clip was shot at?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:59:29 am

REDCINE will tell you this.

On Sharpness:

If you play back the footage on teh camera and have edge highlight selected, it will draw a nice red line around the sharpest pixels in the file.

RED adds NO SHARPENING in camera. They leave it up to you to decide how much you want to sharpen later.

If you use FCP 7 and load a 4K file or F proxy in teh timeline then you can see the full 4K file. Instead of fit to window you could just view it as actual and see the whole 4K resolution from teh proxy, which is a nice way to judge sharpness.

Redcine will show you 1:1 4k files as well .

Cheers.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]