FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED's October 30th Announcements

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Kadner
RED's October 30th Announcements
on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:01:07 pm

"The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

Jim
Quote:
Hold on. Hang in. We are almost there. And it will be worth the wait… but this time we are going to take just long enough to get it right.

Jim
Quote:
Things to keep in mind:

1.* RED was just a thought three years ago.*
2.* We know a lot more today than we did yesterday.
3.* We have changed a ton of things… just as we promised.
4.* A major part of our program is personal service.* Sleep tight.* RED is awake.
5.* Development is expensive. *
6.* We listen more than you think.* Thanks.
7. Line-skipping not spoken here.
8.* We learned that the process becomes the finished product, but only a few are really meant to be Beta testers.
9. And as always... everything is subject to change. Count on it.

Jim
Quote:
EPIC-X FEATURES

RED DSMC (Digital Stills and Motion Camera)

New MYSTERIUM-X 5K sensor
5K (2:1) at 1-100fps
4K (2:1) at 1-125fps
Quad HD at 1-120fps
3K (2:1) at 1-160fps
2K (2:1) at 1-250fps
1080P (scaled from full frame) at 1-60fps
Increased Dynamic Range, reduced noise
Time Lapse, Frame Ramping
REDCODE 250
ISO 200-8000
New FLUT Color Science

Completely Modular System, each Module individually upgradeable
Independent Stills and Motion Modes (both record full resolution REDCODE RAW)
5 Axis Adjustable Sensor Plate
Multiple Recording Media Options (Compact Flash, 1.8” SSD, RED Drives, RED RAM)
Wireless REDMOTE control
Touchscreen LCD control option
Bomb-EVF, RED-EVF and RED-LCD compatible
Multiple User Control Buttons
Interchangeable Lens mounts including focus and iris control of electronic RED, Canon and Nikon lenses (along with Zoom data)
“Touch Focus Tracking” with electronic lens mounts and RED Touchscreen LCDs
LDS and /i Data enabled PL Mount
Rollover Battery Power
Independent LUTs on Monitor Outputs
Independent Frame Guides and Menu overlays on Monitor Outputs
Monitor Ports support both LCD and EVF
True Shutter Sync In/Out and Strobe Sync Out
720P, 1080P and 2K monitoring support
Gigagbit Network interface and 802.11 Wireless interface
3 Axis internal motion sensor, built in GPS receiver
Enhanced Metadata
Full size connectors on Pro I/O Module. AES Digital Audio input, single and dual link HD-SDI
Support for RED, most Arri 19mm, Studio 15mm, 15mm Lite, Panavision and NATO accessories

Dimensions- Approx. 4”x4”x5.5”
Weight (Brain only)- Approx. 6 lbs (2.72kg)

Jim
Quote:
The 1st new camera to be released will be EPIC-X.* It is the reward for RED ONE owners.* It will be released in 4 stages.

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: RED's October 30th Announcements
on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:02:47 pm

The bottom line-

No cameras released to the public this year. Beta EPICs available to RED ONE owners in order of serial numbers starting this year. EPICs released to public after closed beta sometime in early 2010. Scarlet to come sometime after EPIC release in 2010.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
What?
on Oct 31, 2009 at 3:47:58 am

NATO? Will that be 5.56 or 9mm?

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Question
on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:14:30 am

What the flagnog? I have a guy here who want to hold out for the Scarlet. He was waiting for the big November announcement.....this seems like more of a "you're gonna be waiting a while."

We have been renting an EX-1 for a while waiting for the Scarlet announcement. I am wary of the workflow and timing of the release of this thing. Two different factors but biggies in my book.

I also don't exactly fee beholden to this odd little company. What a strange one in this industry. Once Kona delivered its first product it became the real thing and kept pace with its announcements. These Red guys play us like they have the friggin fountain of youth and just a few more months and it could be hours for a small fee.

So if we simply can't wait, or of some of you aren't going to wait, what are some options? Or is this what drives the attraction to this little company? They really have something here?

Odd.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production and Post
Owner/President/Editor/Designer/Animator

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Question
on Nov 2, 2009 at 5:21:55 am

Sounds to me like Scarlet is a lot further away than you might have thought but once it finally does arrive it will be very high end for the price. In the meantime if you want what a Scarlet could have/should have been and you want it right now- grab a Canon 5D Mark II or 7D.

Noah

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:02:44 am

I second this. If you need something right now, get a Canon.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:30:04 pm

Naoh,

The 5 and 7d get you the 35mm DOF.

Ergonomically, it's not a great camera for motion. You can not look through the optical viewfinder (as one example)

For Rich,
If you are a stills guy and you want some motion capabilities then then Canon is for you.

If you are a motion guy, who shows up to events, plugs in microphones and shoots single system, then you are best to stay with the EX-1 rentals.

I think a lot of these announcements are a marketing person's way of rooting out the truffle and forcing the competition to play their hands.

They have released ONE functioning camera product available to consumers since their inception and admittedly it has been a beta program since day one.

Watch closely.

Since their last announcement, which told the world that they were releasing a camera to compete with EVERY major camera system in the world, from a 2/3 inch to 617, to 28K and 3D, RED have not released another camera product. But what happened?

ARRI released their plans for digital cinema
Canon and Nikon released motion stills to preserve their markets.
Mamiya - silent
Hasselblad - silent

So the EPIC program is first because they can go back to existing customers first. Taking on the 5D and 7D market with a Scarlett is no simple task, neither is comin up with something as easy and competent as the EX-1 or EX-3.

I believe that a lot of this is a way to smoke out what others are doing to further refine where you fit in the marketplace and where there is money available from the consumer.

I love watching how RED unfolds stuff. I think that in marketing terms, they really rival NIKE. Really interesting to watch how people freak over prototypes and CAD quality renderings, but it also helps shape what they produce and where they put their resources. I do not doubt they will get there, but it's not going to happen in months.

EPIC first is a really great plan. Scarlet second, what do they do with all the parts from the trade in cameras from the EPIC program? Landfill? Repurpose?

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Nov 4, 2009 at 6:37:59 am

[David Battistella] "The 5 and 7d get you the 35mm DOF.

Ergonomically, it's not a great camera for motion. You can not look through the optical viewfinder (as one example)"

Agreed- as a motion picture camera the ergonomics are very weak. But for cinematic imagery- there really is nothing at all comparable in their price range. For that I and a whole lot of other folks are willing to jump through a few hoops. That said, the ultimate camera has yet to be delivered.

Noah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]