FORUMS: list search recent posts

REDRushes Color Shift

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Schwab
REDRushes Color Shift
on Oct 27, 2009 at 3:17:13 pm

I just received RED footage shot at 4096x2048. I plan to edit that in the Avid. Without putting a resize on it (besides the RENDER Half Res Standard), it is not 16x9 format, thereby placing black bars on the top and bottom.

I wanted then to resize the image, cropping off the left and right, to fit it into the 16x9 workspace without squeezing the image. I used these settings:

RENDER; HALF RES Standard
TC: EXTERNAL
LOOK SOURCE: CAMERA
COLOR SPACE: REC709
GAMMA: REC 709

RESIZE:
CROP: DO NOTHING
SCALE CHECK CHECKBOX 1920x1080
FIT: Height
RESAMPLE: CATMULROM

OUTPUT
QTMOVIE
H.264
REEL ID FULL NAME

The oddity I found, however, is that there is a slight color shift towards the magenta side. It's not an issue, as these are just dailies to edit from. I would just like to know why there is such a difference in color. Because the color space and the gamma was REC 709 both times I exported as H264 Quicktimes both times, I can only point the finger at the resize causing the color shift. Perhaps the Resample selection?

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: REDRushes Color Shift
on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:16:49 pm

Could it be build 20 or higher?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: REDRushes Color Shift
on Oct 27, 2009 at 9:23:55 pm

What happens when you use an editing codec like ProRes? If the same- it could be a difference from the metadata settings or as Uli suggests a side effect of the new color science in Build 20+ which is not fully supported across all conversion applications presently.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]