FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering RED footage in clipfinder

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erin Campbell
Rendering RED footage in clipfinder
on Oct 13, 2009 at 9:20:38 pm

I have recently started editing some RED footage in FCP, i have been using clipfinder to adjust the proxie size of the clips before just dragging them into FCP. I'm curious if I need to render the clips for any reason before bringing them into FCP. Im new at working with RED footage so this could be a silly question.
Thanks,
Erin

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Rendering RED footage in clipfinder
on Oct 14, 2009 at 7:42:47 am

Yes, I'd render them. The use of proxies in FCP is not encouraged by Apple and I've seen instablities down the line. Plus, your editing experience will feel very much like walking in molasses…

Convert to ProRes and it will be much snappier. A conversion in high quality will take quite some time, though. Depending on shooting ratio, you may want to consider a low-quality conversion for offlining (like 1/4 debayer in 1280 by 720 ProRes LT) and a re-conform to higher quality by Clipfinder when the edit is final.

Clipfinder is a very flexible tool, it can be called the Swiss army knife for RED for good reason – after all it's coming from Switzerland. There's even a feature called PMDR (Poor Man's Distributed Rendering) and it works!

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Christopher Webb
Re: Rendering RED footage in clipfinder
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:17:54 pm

I am not and expert- However I recently used Clip Finder to export HD QuickTimes of my 4K RED footage for a client to edit in FCP. I invested some time in exporting the HD clips but they looked great and gave my client something to edit without getting too involved in the RED file structure etc.

Director/Cameraman

CHRISTOPHER WEBB FILMS
cinematography production post

chris@christopherwebbfilms.com
http://www.christopherwebbfilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]