FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing RED Footage for Web

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Fisher
Compressing RED Footage for Web
on Oct 7, 2009 at 6:16:53 pm

I've been playing around with different compression settings for a short film I shot on the RED and edited in ProRes 422 HQ. So far, all my H.264's are really flat and noisy. Anyone have any tips for compressing for the web? I'd like the quality of the RED footage to come across a little more on a stream.

Thanks in advance!

s.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Compressing RED Footage for Web
on Oct 8, 2009 at 2:13:01 pm

That's kind of an art and some trial and error to get good web video. Also depends what color space you transcoded your ProRes files too. I'd suggest getting something like Sorenson.

http://www.sorensonmedia.com/video-encoding/

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Oct 9, 2009 at 5:39:26 am

I consider Sorenson slightly outdated. I'd still recommend H.264, it's quickly becoming the standard. Newer versions of Flash can play it if you change the extension to .flv. If your H.264 is looking flat, you've got the dreaded gamma problem, which can be compensated. If it's noisy (what kind of noise?) it should be filtered before compression or the data rate is too low.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Oct 12, 2009 at 5:03:06 pm

Why do you consider Sorenson to be outdated? Seems to create pretty decent 720p H264 for me from QT Refs out of AVID, even from HDV footage it does alright.

Andy

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:29:03 am

Well, if I compare Sorenson, On2 and H.264 at identical sizes, Sorenson shows most artefacts among the three. But any compression is highly dependent on content and format of origin, so your results may vary.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]