FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice on hardware for RED proxy playback & edit

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fish
advice on hardware for RED proxy playback & edit
on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:39:58 pm

We are about to purchase a new mac pro, and would like this machine to be capable of editing with RED proxy files.

Our current mac, a dual-quad 3.0 ghz mac pro with a Kona LE card & 8 gb RAM at does not playback any of the proxies.

From what I have read, a new mac pro (mid-range 8 core) with plenty of RAM & a Kona 3 card, will do what I want.

Output to a HD studio monitor is not really a concern at this stage. We just want to be able to work ("off-line") with the RED footage on the desktop in FCP as soon as possible once we receive the files (currently, we transfer to Pro Res).

Thanks

David Fish
david@assemblypix.tv

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: advice on hardware for RED proxy playback & edit
on Oct 6, 2009 at 7:45:53 pm

Which proxies- I have almost the exact system and medium proxies play back fine. If you're expecting to play the full resolution proxies you'll need a REDrocket.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

David Fish
on Oct 6, 2009 at 7:52:38 pm

on my current system, none of the proxies play back. i'd like the new system to play at least the smallest proxy, preferably the medium. do I need KONA 3, or is KONA LE ok? Many thanks for the response.

df

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:12:50 pm

Really- like what happens? I can easily play up to the medium proxies on a MacBook Air- your system should have no problem. Sounds like you're not configured right.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]