FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to process

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Orange
Where to process
on Oct 3, 2009 at 6:23:53 am

Where is it best to process R3D files?
Coming from a stills background, there are quite a few software options to choose from eg Camera Raw, Lightroom or Aperture, but they all do the same thing - process the raw flat-looking image into something usable.

As I understand it Redcine is for color correcting as is Color which apparently has more to it and is more intuitive. But neither of these are regarded as processors as such, just color correctors.

Any pointers, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Where to process
on Oct 3, 2009 at 7:54:09 am

What's your intended final output?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Joe Orange
on Oct 3, 2009 at 8:53:13 am

4K R3D files along with an HD 1920x1080 23.98 Quicktime file using REDCOCDE codec

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Oct 3, 2009 at 8:12:31 pm

- The REDCODE codec is only decodable by others, RED allows no encoding to it other than in their cameras.
- 4K files don't make much sense, they are huge and only playable in a special format in digital theatres. Plus, the RED doesn't really generate 4K of optical resolution.
- You can batch process files for HDTV with REDrushes or Clipfinder (free) or with Apple's Color or Adobe's CS4.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 3, 2009 at 11:41:36 pm

Yeah there are many ways to go- you could ingest ProRes and color correct in Color with ProRes- which loses RAW but goes much faster in terms of editing performance. Or edit Proxy or QuickTime Native wrapped and use the RED tab in Color. There's not one answer. That's why I wrote a book about this. :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Oct 3, 2009 at 11:59:55 pm

In a week or two, we are setting up a Red Rocket station for real time Full Resolution Debayer RED conversions in HD, SD or DPX formats.

Our turn around will be same day or 24hrs depending on the hours to be converted.

Visit and bookmark our website.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]