FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-wrapping R3D's in Quicktime/REDCODE format without FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Elkins
Re-wrapping R3D's in Quicktime/REDCODE format without FCP
on Sep 24, 2009 at 8:54:12 am

Hi all,

Just a quick question, to which I think the answer is probably "no".

Is there any way to re-wrap R3D's as REDCODE files without using FCP to transfer Natively.
I guessed that Clipfinder or RedAlert might do this, but it appears not. Is FCP the only tool to do this? A client asked the other day and I just didn't know the answer!

Thanks,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Re-wrapping R3D's in Quicktime/REDCODE format without FCP
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:42:40 pm

That is correct- FCP Log and Transfer is the only way to make a QuickTime file wrapped in REDCODE.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:48:16 pm

Thanks Noah, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Neil Abeynayake
on Sep 24, 2009 at 5:51:48 pm

[Alex Elkins] asked: Is there any way to re-wrap R3D's as REDCODE files without using FCP to transfer Natively.

.R3Ds ARE REDCODE files. Were you asking whether once a .R3D is decoded to a Quicktime format, can they be encoded back to .R3D format?

I found this blog by accident. http://techblog.cineform.com/?tag=red

Pardon my curiosity, but why would anyone want to encode a Quicktime file back into a REDCODE format? What is the benefit, if any?

"Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else".

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Sep 24, 2009 at 6:03:48 pm

Hi Neil,

Thanks for the response. I should have been a bit clearer in my question by asking of a way to re-wrap R3D's as Quicktime-wrapped REDCODE files, i.e. the sort of files you get when you use FCPs Log and Transfer Utility with the import settings set to 'Native'. According to Noah, FCP is the only tool for this.

[Neil Abeynayake] "Pardon my curiosity, but why would anyone want to encode a Quicktime file back into a REDCODE format? What is the benefit, if any?"

It's for a client who is shooting some stock stuff on the Red. The stock company ask for the original R3D files the camera generates, plus a Quicktime wrapped R3D file. I was putting together a workflow for the client and it occurred to me that there may be another way to do the re-wrapping, but it seems there isn't.

Thanks,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]