FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting RED @ 29.97 - Pro's & Con's

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
Shooting RED @ 29.97 - Pro's & Con's
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:56:26 pm

Hey Friends,

If any of you guys have seen my recent threads on here you might have noticed me having to deal with a client who runs older Avid in house requiring material at 29.97 while we have FCP setups and can work in the traditional 23.98 RED workflow.

Having read the WHitepaper I have noticed that it doesn ot recommend a COlor workflow with FCP that is anything BUT 23.98 or 24 fps - this is a big concern because some of these projects are going back to Color either with the ProRes or RED RAW material for final grading before output to HDCAM sr.

I have been asked about this and how it could be an option with very minor drawbacks, I’m not sure if there is a monetary benefit to shooting 29.97 or how shooting 29.97 will impact workflow between single projects that are cut in and out of house between an old school AVid facility and our up to date FCP house : )

If the clients shoots RED @ 29.97 can out of house shops (such as ourselves) work easily with this time code if there is a back and forth between them and us?

What are the drawbacks with shooting 29.97?

thank you in advance,

Sean

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Shooting RED @ 29.97 - Pro's & Con's
on Sep 24, 2009 at 1:14:39 am

Really there's still a post house staying in business in 2009 that's only 29.97? Really? Wow...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Sep 24, 2009 at 2:14:51 am

[Noah Kadner] "Really there's still a post house staying in business in 2009 that's only 29.97? Really? Wow..."

I've seen it... Yes, earlier this year with my own eyes. All Beta SP. The works!!!! :)
It was like a time machine transporting me to the past.
"De Ripley"

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Post Supervisor

- Visit our studio's website.
- RED Rocket Conversions.
- Follow us on Facebook. Become a fan!
- Duplication, Mastering and Teranex Conversions.

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:55:45 am

they are not a post house to clarify - we are ha! The point is the CLIENT has those limitations and wants to know about shooting RED footage this way. I have just gone ahead and advised against it because you dont want to mess with that greT FILMIC LOOK 23.98 CREATES...

still would be interested in some thoughts or a link to somewhere where its discussed if possible : )

thanks
sean

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Sep 26, 2009 at 8:49:31 pm

This is no big deal.

You can set the RED's TIMEBASE setting to 59.94 and 30 FPS and then you can shoot all you want. If the preferred workflow is to work 29.97 then this is all you have to do.

I had a client with similar requirements and after some testing this is what I did. If you want the 3:2 film look. We were even able to integrate some 23.98 material in to the final cut.

David

Peace
Check out my new web series.
http://www.ripperhockey.com

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:15:12 pm

Reading posts like this makes me so glad to be in the UK. Its gonna bite me in the ass the day I work on an American project though. I'm guessing you guys are used to it, but the idea of a non whole number frame rate just seems ridiculous if you think about it. The biggest jump I've ever had to make is from 50i to 25p.

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]