FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red to Film print... Help!

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dora Kocka
Red to Film print... Help!
on Aug 30, 2009 at 9:17:38 am

I apologize if my questions concern very basic info but I really do need help!
I am a scriptwriter who just did her first film as filmdirector. It is an independent film and we have already outcome our budget.
I apologize for not having any honorable technical knowledge, but I hope to find here some friendly help and understanding.
This is the first feature film to be shot on RED one in my country and there is a lot of lack of experience here about these issues.

Before I go on I have to remind that we have a prerequisite by one of our donors that we must deposit at least one copy of the finished in 35mm.

Now the problem is:
We have 4.5TB of Raw 4k material.
We have a Mac Pro 8 core, 12GB Ram, 6TB interior storage (to do the editing)

The first thing that I need to do is, an offline edit of the film.

The question is, how should I proceed. Shall we work with Pro.res or with native?
How much space do the ProRes need? How much would the R3D - quicktime native editing require if we edit from the native files?

What I desperately need to do fast is to make a offline copy of the film.
That is a DVD print.
This is for the purpose of handling it to potential sponsors and fund givers.We are hoping to do the best possible film print we will be able to afford at a second step.
If we are able to raise funds we will do the best film print we can and that means transferring from 4k to 35mm.

But looking at our technical limited possibilities what would be the best way to proceed in order to:

1. Have a decent copy of the film on dvd
and
2. Still have the possibility to convert our edited film into 2k or 4k so that we would be able to do a decent transfer to film in case we find the funds?

Now another issue is how to start.
I am not sure on what stage to start to change the names of the files since the files are named after shooting days and we need to convert the titles into Scene Nr, Shot Nr and Take Nr.

At what stage is this to be done editing in respective ways.

Thanks in advance and a pardon if the info I am asking is basic for this forum.
However: Please help!

Best Regards
Dora

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Red to Film print... Help!
on Aug 30, 2009 at 2:01:38 pm

I'd highly recommend hiring a post-production consultant. Even if it's someone in another country they can get you over the major issues. If you have investors already lined up they must be aware that post-production wasn't going to be free.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Dora Kocka
on Aug 31, 2009 at 8:15:38 am

Noah do you mean that this is information we should pay for?
I agree, yet finding a good consultant might be as difficult as finding the best way to edit these goddamn RED one HYPE(!)

pardon the blasphemy but am quite annoyed...

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Aug 31, 2009 at 8:27:27 am

Where are you located? Maybe I can recommend someone.

And, sorry, but this is digital cinematography, not video…

It requires a lot of professional knowledge, which is aquired by hard work and not for free.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:28:11 pm

[Uli Plank] "It requires a lot of professional knowledge, which is aquired by hard work and not for free. "

Uli,

You are so right.

I see so many productions unwilling to pay a small consulting fee at the onset to have the workflow set up correctly, only to pay thousands in lost time and less than desirable results on the final product.

It's part of what has made RED's workflow an "issue" when it really isn't. The issue tends to be misinformed people attempting to do something that is out of their league.

I've had panic calls from just about every aspect of production over this past year and if you suggest payment they are quick to hang up the phone and go the google route.

Big mistake.

David

Peace
Check out my new web series.
http://www.ripperhockey.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 31, 2009 at 2:01:49 pm

[David Battistella] "I see so many productions unwilling to pay a small consulting fee at the onset to have the workflow set up correctly, only to pay thousands in lost time and less than desirable results on the final product."

Exactly- it's either pay a little now when the train hasn't even left the station. Or pay a *lot* later when the train has left the station, driven off a cliff on fire and is about to crash into a school bus when the producer calls asking for a screening for the investors in 20 minutes.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Aug 31, 2009 at 2:51:35 pm

I could see this thread turning into a great case study for Ron Lindeboom on "how to start your consulting business with RED".

I've just given up. Many people think that hours of reading, testing and actually doing is worth the price of a cup of coffee. I'm not comparing RED knowledge to a law degree, but a lawyer generally gives you one quick call before asking for a hefty pre-payment for excellent advice.

I just had a call detailing a 12 week RED shoot in which all of the dailies were being transfered to HDCAM-SR, dv dubs struck from the SR and the finish going back to SR. THis is from a MAJOR house. Completely defeats the purpose of shooting RED at all.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Aug 31, 2009 at 3:01:47 pm

I just also noticed we are answering into a thread posted by someone with two posts named '

DORA KNOCKA

give me a break.

Please.

what a joke.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Dora Kocka
on Aug 31, 2009 at 7:58:53 pm

well thank you for your valuable help.
The question was concerning the rough cut of a film, not the elixir of life.
good luck friends,
hope you enjoy your great knowledge

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Sep 1, 2009 at 1:16:50 am

Um,

The point of real names is...

exactly that.

Cowards.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Dora Kocka
on Sep 1, 2009 at 10:38:21 am

Yes we will remember your name for our next psycho unemployed italian hockey playing scat-lover hero!
Don't worry.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 1, 2009 at 2:10:57 pm

[Dora Kocka] "Yes we will remember your name for our next psycho unemployed italian hockey playing scat-lover hero!
Don't worry."

Dora-

Oh scary, that sounded like a thinly veiled threat of future non-employment. But it doesn't sound like you can afford to actually hire anyone in post, so please don't hate us if we don't throw ourselves at your feet and beg for forgiveness.

Noah

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:01:37 pm

And David, as an Italian ex-hockey player myself, great site, best hour I have wasted on the internet in a long time. There was a guy that played for the Preds for a couple of seasons that was an unbelievable fighter, kind of the one punch knock out guy. He didn't last too long in the league though.

Love goalie fights!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Sep 3, 2009 at 2:13:04 am

This is so kind of you. I rally appreciate it. A while back I spent some time filming in Nashville when Jordin TooToo was on his way to becoming the first Inuit born player to play in the National Hockey League. The Preds run a very classy organization and I met some great people there.

We just shot three new episodes today!

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 31, 2009 at 4:19:40 pm

[David Battistella] "I just had a call detailing a 12 week RED shoot in which all of the dailies were being transfered to HDCAM-SR, dv dubs struck from the SR and the finish going back to SR. THis is from a MAJOR house. Completely defeats the purpose of shooting RED at all."

I'm not that surprised to hear that. A *lot* of TV shows and commercials and even features are still going that way. Why? Because every major post house in town that doesn't get the RED workflow wants to squeeze it back into the box they do know as soon as possible- which is feeding DV into an Avid and onlining on HDCAM SR. In the end for HD, the results are fine but yeah it's completely throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Then again, how many TV shows were shot in the '80s and '90s on 35mm film only to be cut on 3/4" tape. That's why for example we're never getting Star Trek: The Next Generation in Blu-ray, all of the effects were done at SD on videotape. Whereas the original Star Trek is no problem because in the '60s there was no other choice but to finish on 35mm negative, which can now easily be scanned to 1080p. Oh well....

Noah

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:56:14 pm

[David Battistella] "I could see this thread turning into a great case study for Ron Lindeboom on "how to start your consulting business with RED"."

Hey, I think that this thread has just given me an idea for a new article, one on "How to Start Your Own Consulting Business with RED."

:)

In all seriousness, though...I couldn't agree with you guys more. The COW is not a free consulting service designed to be like some kind of "Complete Alphabet Smorgasbord" of A-to-Z answers fed to people in the proper chronological order at the demand of the "baby bird members" who expect to have answers regurgitated by the daddy and mommy birds who already did the eating.

As we have said many times over the years, the COW does NOT guarantee that every question will be answered, every time. What we do guarantee is that if you hang around for a year and watch and listen, you will get one heck of an education.

Oh, and we are quite serious about using realnames and I do not know who approved your account -- I sure wouldn't have -- but I have removed it. Good luck on your project.

Best regards,

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Sep 2, 2009 at 2:58:57 am

"What we do guarantee is that if you hang around for a year and watch and listen, you will get one heck of an education."

I agree. I learned more from the COW and doing things on my own than I did in school.

Also just wanted to say that I agree with the comments about people who don't want to do the work or research in the beginning and end up paying for it in the end with bad results. I know this one guy who says he's a producer who does that and I'm about to tell him I don't want to edit for him anymore. It's just a waste of time. The end product isn't even something I'd want for my reel. I've only been out of school a couple months and I can do better planning and video making than him and the people he hires. It's ridiculous the way people think about video. And how they don't want to pay for competent workers And they way they think they can toss stuff at an editor and it will all be ok. Ridiculous I tells ya.

And how did you know that was a fake name? Dora Kocka? I don't get it. Honestly, I don't.

Robert J. Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com

Return to posts index

Ron Lindeboom
on Sep 2, 2009 at 3:52:46 am

[Rob Grauert] "And how did you know that was a fake name? Dora Kocka? I don't get it. Honestly, I don't."

Because we administrators can see the email addresses of those who are posting.

You can't but we can.

Ron Lindeboom

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:09:03 pm

[Rob Grauert] "Dora Kocka? I don't get it. Honestly, I don't. "

"Door Knocker"

but it really could be one of those unfortunate name combos. But judge by this thread I'm thinking not.

I think the read problem with the way that most people use the forum is that it is a post problem solution instead of lets read and learn before I jump in. Then if they get into trouble it is easier to help them because they at least have a foundation.

Too many post start with, I just bought, or I just installed, how do I...

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Sep 3, 2009 at 2:10:55 am

This was my dyslexia kicking in.

I read Dora Kocka as

"Door Knocker" as in,

I'm knocking om the door here to get some information.

BUT THEN I realizes I didn't read it right at all and I am not going to speculate on

DORA KOCKA but i think it's really smart. :)

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:47:22 am

I read as well as I spell.

Preds where sad last year, there was no life in the team, lost a lot of games in the last 60 seconds. TooToo has always been great to watch. If he works a little harder on his hands and plays a little smarter I think he could really be valuable. But he is exciting to watch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]