FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid or Final cut?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MARTA SALAS
Avid or Final cut?
on Aug 22, 2009 at 3:39:48 pm

HI, I'm film editor, I'm going to edit a tv movie that it has been filmed with the red one, What is better for editing: Avid or Final cut?

Thans.

Marta

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Avid or Final cut?
on Aug 22, 2009 at 4:11:33 pm

Better in what sense?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

MARTA SALAS
on Aug 23, 2009 at 7:20:47 pm

Hi Noah,

Thanks you for answering me.
I edit with Avid & Final Cut but it's the first time that I edit with the Red one... I hear that with Red One, thereĀ“s better compatability with Final Cut.

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Marta

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 22, 2009 at 5:43:01 pm

Hi Marta -
without traning, and understanding the Red Workflow, and how to convert these files, and conform back to your original R3D files, they are both useless to you. If you are an AVID editor, or you are an FCP editor, and have no experience working with Red workflow, you will have nothing but problems. You need training on how to do this. This is accomplished by sitting with one of these systems (FCP or AVID), and learning how to transcode the files, or hiring an editor to train you on how to do this. If you are an experienced AVID or FCP editor, and expect to just sit down, and do a "Red" edit session, you will fail.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

MARTA SALAS
on Aug 23, 2009 at 8:10:31 pm

Hi Bob,
Thanks you for answering me.

I'm an experienced AVID or FCP editor, but it's the first time that I'm going to edit with the Red one... I hear that with Red One, there's better compatability with Final Cut, my intention is learning and understanding the Red Workflow, but the first that I need, is to Know which is the best system FCP or AVID? then I'm going to learn the Red Workflow...

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Marta

Return to posts index

Scott Cumbo
on Aug 23, 2009 at 9:46:12 pm

not sure which is "better" they both have their hoops to jump through.
Guess it depends on which system you feel like cutting on.
I suggest to do some research and decide for yourself.
here is some info on the avid workflow.

http://www.avid.com/red/REDstepbystep.pdf

Scott Cumbo
Editor
Broadway Video, NYC

Return to posts index

Marta Salas
on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:33:11 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your advice, at the end I will opt the final cut ...

Greetings.

Marta

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 23, 2009 at 10:10:32 pm

Hi Marta,

look at this list -

http://www.red.com/gear_we_use/

you tell me, what does RED suggest ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

MARTA SALAS
on Aug 24, 2009 at 6:49:33 am

Thanks Bob,

My first look was at the red one website but I need to know of somebody who has worked with both systems. Anyway I think, judging by what I have heard, I'm going to opt for final cut, I hope that it's the best.

Regards.

Marta

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Aug 25, 2009 at 1:49:57 am

>>you tell me, what does RED suggest ?

And how many people at Red do you think are editors?

Seriously....

If this is a professional project - and it sounds like it is - the whole do-it-yourself-start-to-finish mentality does not apply. It's all about editing. Either program can produce an EDL that can be used by any finishing system at any facility. It's no easier to get material into one than it is the other (unless you're going to cut using Quicktime proxies - which would be an exercise in frustration for a longform project). Once the material is in the program it operates exactly the same as it does with any other origination format.

An editor should use whatever editing tool is most appropriate and most familiar. Many projects have been finished after being cut on either of these systems. The question is which is the best editing tool, not the best finishing path.

Return to posts index

Marta Salas
on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:27:59 am

Hi Mike,

I think you're right ...

Thanks you.

Regards.

Marta

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Aug 23, 2009 at 10:45:18 pm

I would say that FCP is the easier workflow, in that it actually can work with the RED codec. Avid DS is only system that can work with the raw files and so If you're ever going to want to grade the thing to its full potential or get any high res image sequence to print to film, your going to struggle. With Avid you have to have a better understanding of metadata to get it to work and even then you're going to be messing around with some RED tools or metafuze. With FCP it can be relatively easy, you transcode everything to ProRes and edit all inside FCP, then you can either use the transcoded files and colour correct and play out (which will give great HD results), or if you want to take it to next level, you just duplicate the sequence, make it offline, and then reimport only whats in the sequence in the native codec. You can then send that to Color like any other sequence and you have complete control over the processing of the raw, just like in RedCine or RedAlert. Then you can render out a 2K or 4K image sequence from your grade if you wish or just send it back to FCP and play it out. Don't listen to these guys who are convincing you you will fail. If you read up then you can crack the Red workflow in FCP in 2 or 3 days. Avid, I havent managed yet, and I am an Avid editor at heart.

Andy

Return to posts index

MARTA SALAS
on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:09:45 am

Hi Andrew, thank you very much,

Your information helped me a lot... Finally I'm going to opt by Final Cut, now I'm going to have to learn all the workflow with Red One... if I have any doubt, could I ask you about it?.
I think that I'll miss the script tool of AVID...

Thanks again.

Greetings.

Marta

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Aug 24, 2009 at 11:55:33 am

Yeah, just send me an email if you get stuck. Make sure you update your FCP and Color to the right version before you install the plugins from RED. It give you all the details on the website. Thats one of the pitfalls I fell into.

Andy

Return to posts index

Marta Salas
on Aug 25, 2009 at 6:23:57 am

OK Andy,

Thanks a lot.

Greetings.

Marta

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved