FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color grading Red Camera footage VS Raw data from still camera?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nic Cross
Color grading Red Camera footage VS Raw data from still camera?
on Aug 14, 2009 at 9:21:33 am

Guys, color grading Red Camera footage VS Raw data from still camera.

Whats the difference?

I have been color grading raw files on Cannon cameras for many months (in lightroom) and I'm wondering how different it is to grading Raw camera data, can grading for raw files be done on avid? or a specalist color grading system for moving footage?

Just curious.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Color grading Red Camera footage VS Raw data from still camera?
on Aug 14, 2009 at 1:12:48 pm

Same basic idea- completely different workflow and tools to master. Same basic idea= metadata like color temperature, ASA, gamma/color spaces are not burned in during shooting. Different workflows= you're working with a lot more data, using tools like REDCINE, RED Alert!, and an NLE vs. Photoshop or Lightroom. But the theory at its most basic level is the same. That answer your question?

Avid Media Composer itself has no support for RAW using RED, but Avid DS supports R3D RAW color correction natively. So does the latest version of Apple Color as well as Adobe Premiere/After Effects.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Nic Cross
on Aug 15, 2009 at 1:18:33 am

Cool thanks for the reply.

Is there anywhere I can obtain some red camera footage to grade and play around with? Preferably something royalty free so I can eventually put it on a showreel.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Aug 15, 2009 at 7:37:24 pm

[Nic Cross] "Is there anywhere I can obtain some red camera footage to grade and play around with? Preferably something royalty free so I can eventually put it on a showreel. "

Wha-wha-wha?

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

Nic Cross
on Aug 16, 2009 at 2:00:15 am

"Wha-wha-wha?"

What is red camera footage hard to get or something? Surely they'd be some around for 'testing' purposes...

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 16, 2009 at 11:09:16 am

Free footage for practicing is one thing. But to put on your showreel- that would be a violation of the general laws of post ethics, don't you think? So anyways- either way, you should be googling for that.

-Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Aug 16, 2009 at 6:57:09 pm

[Nic Cross] "Surely they'd be some around for 'testing' purposes..."

Not really. When a camera is that expensive, you don't just find footage "laying around" for people to do what they please with. Chances are, somebody paid a lot of money for either the ability to shoot with the camera, or paid a lot for what they put in front of the camera and care very much what happens to the footage.

Your best bet is to find a camera owner and just ask nicely for some files, and get permission to put it on your reel. Chances are the shooter is going to want to see your work before they allow you to put it on a reel.

Nate Weaver
Director/D.P., Los Angeles
http://www.nateweaver.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]