FORUMS: list search recent posts

best method for 4K downconvert to SD

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Murray
best method for 4K downconvert to SD
on Aug 10, 2009 at 8:39:25 pm

Working with R3D files in Color and need to eventually get to 4:3 standard definition NTSC. Just wondering what is the best quality method for this process:

1. set Color project to SD 720 x 486, use geometry tab in Color for scale/pan/scan, render to SD (I don't think this works because the rendered frame rate is still 24)

2. render full 1080 24fps ProRes in Color, then use After Effects for downconvert/pulldown/scale to NTSC

3. render full 1080 24fps ProRes in Color, output to DBeta via Kona card for downconvert/pulldown, then recapture as 10 bit uncompressed SD

I'm not even considering the option of scaling and pulldown being done by Final Cut because I've compared that to the After Effects method and it doesn't look as good. None of these look as good as I'd expect - seems to be some softening applied to the image no matter which method I use, which is why I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks-

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: best method for 4K downconvert to SD
on Aug 11, 2009 at 12:38:38 pm

Joe,

I like option 3 in this case. You'll have a 24P universal master and then pull the SD or whatever else you need from that using the Kona.

You might have to make some small adjustments to the Color Correction when going through the different color space, but that is pretty simple.

David

Peace
Check out my new web series.
http://www.ripperhockey.com

Return to posts index

Joe Murray
Re: best method for 4K downconvert to SD
on Aug 11, 2009 at 1:20:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. And now that I look at my original post, I see that my item 4 didn't post properly. It's supposed to say "insert better method here." So I'm open to other ideas as well.

Joe Murray
Edit at Joe's
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]