FORUMS: list search recent posts

is fibre channel drive necessary for edit?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Wilson
is fibre channel drive necessary for edit?
on Jul 18, 2009 at 12:57:17 am

Is a fibre channel raid necessary for editing red footage? or will FW800 work?...2k proxy/prores files i think...if that is the best way to go for a project that will be color corrected later at a post house.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: is fibre channel drive necessary for edit?
on Jul 18, 2009 at 6:04:02 am

I'd rather use a small e-SATA RAID, but if you don't work uncompressed, you won't need fibre channel.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 18, 2009 at 7:14:33 pm

My Proavio box pulls umcompressed HD no problem.

I've had both and I have found that FIber is great for long cable runs that require sustained speed but a short e-sata cable run is very fast and much less expensive.

David

Peace
Check out my new web series.
http://www.ripperhockey.com

Return to posts index

Amy Wilson
on Jul 19, 2009 at 1:43:50 pm

Thanks to everyone for the feedback! I've never worked with an e-SATA drive but sounds like a good option.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:11:07 pm

I like the CalDigit models of eSATA RAIDs- but depends on your budget. That said, they're worth every penny.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 21, 2009 at 4:51:37 pm

I roll with Proavio.

David

Peace
Check out my new web series.
http://www.ripperhockey.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 22, 2009 at 12:30:36 pm

Amy writes -
I've never worked with an e-SATA drive

REPLY -
oh yes you have Amy. The internal hard drive in your MAC is eSATA.
Most drives today in enclosures (drive boxes) are eSATA drives. They just have different connectors on the outside of the boxes.

The drives for your editing stricktly depends on the resolution you are working at, and the compression ratio that you need when you edit in FCP. For example, working at DV25 requires a lot less than working at uncompressed HD (which in turn requires a lot less than editing in 2K).

People throw names around (like Cal Digit and Proavio for example) - but these names mean absolutely nothing. An excellent company like Cal Digit makes countless products. So if you buy a simple 2 bay eSATA solution from Cal Digit, this does not mean you can edit uncompressed HD. However, Cal Digit does make excellent products like the HDPro and HDOne, which will allow you to edit in uncompressed HD (or 2K). Proavio, Dulce, Maxx Digital, G-Tech, and all the others all sell multiple products for multiple applications.

So what does all of this mean - it means that before you make a big purchase, you should speak with an expert, who does this all day long. Becuase you don't want to spend $15,000 for a Fibre array if all you need is a $1000 drive box to do an offline ProRes422 edit. And you dont' want to spend $1000 on a drive box, if you need to spend $8000 on a hi end 8 Terabyte eSATA RAID 5 array to conform in 2K.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jul 22, 2009 at 8:02:35 pm

I don't just throw around brand names, Bob. If someone names a budget I'll be happy to recommend a corresponding model number but otherwise it's just rhetorical, ain't it? :)

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 22, 2009 at 10:03:47 pm

all I can say is that I CANNOT WAIT to get this book -

RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera (Paperback)

This is #1 on my wish list right now, as I am an amateur on RED workflow.

bob zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]