FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED camera "Look" saved to SD card?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Briggs
RED camera "Look" saved to SD card?
on Jul 13, 2009 at 10:05:15 am

Hi

I'm doing a test grade for a feature shooting on RED. The DOP wants to establish looks that can be previewed on set without embedding this data into the footage.

I was told one way to do this would be to grade in RED ALERT and then input the data manually into the camera under the Look section of the menu and then export this "Look" onto a SD card of less than 1GB

Has anyone any experience of using this method? Does it work? Are there any values form RED ALERT that cant be transferred to the camera? Most importantly is it only a look up and does it not embed any data onto the R3D files?

Thanks in advance for any advice or support - cheers.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED camera "Look" saved to SD card?
on Jul 13, 2009 at 12:13:35 pm

Yes,

This method does work.

You need to use RED ALERT to establish the look and then you have to transfer the data (manually) in to the look setting of the camera.

You can use the numbers in the bottom left corner of RA as a reference. Those are the parameters that go into the look file.

I am not certain that you get every parameter but you certainly can do it that way.

OR

Set up a monitor on the camera and set the look right off the camera and save it as a look file.

I personally do not recommend setting looks for the shoot, but as a test. It's much better to expose a proper image as "lighting to the monitor" on RED is in my opinion a very bad idea. It's best to know what the sensor can do, establish looks and then light based on how you want to finsih. "Baking it in" with a look from the get go is not the best idea.

David

David

Peace
Check out my new web series.
http://www.ripperhockey.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Briggs
on Jul 13, 2009 at 12:33:37 pm

Hi David - thanks again for responding...

Baking the look in is exactly what the DOP does not want to do - he simply wants to be able to preview a possible look on set.

Using a "look" set up in the camera wouldn't actually effect the R3D files would it? I just spoke to someone at RED who said the only way that would happen is if the DOP played with the "EXPOSURE" setting.

I suppose the DOP could light for standard red-space, quickly load up a "look" to test it... and then revert back to the defaults when it came time to actually shoot?

Is the only way to get the data out of RA to manually input the data - can you import a RLX or RSX into the cam?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 13, 2009 at 12:51:19 pm

Baking the look in is not possible on set, but it CAN affect the way you decide to light.

This is why I would opt for getting a good wide histogram which gives you the ability to do whatever you want. I guess I would always recommend that you flip to raw view to see what the sensor is seeing.

THe look is not "baked in", but shooting with a preset look can sometimes affect the way you light, meaning you might not be exposing best for the sensor.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

Jonathan Briggs
on Jul 13, 2009 at 1:07:27 pm

Thanks David for taking the time to answer my questions...

We've already advised the DOP to do exactly what you've stated and shoot so that we have the widest d=creative latitude possible when it comes to the full grade.

Hopefully he'll adhere to our advice - I think he justs wants to have a look and get a rough idea of how certain looks may or may not effect the scene. Not being a DOp myself I cant really say why he paticuarly wants to do this.

One last question - is manually inputting the numbers the only way to get the data out of RA and into the camera - if I save a preset as an RLX file from RA can that be imported to the camera - or a RSX?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jul 13, 2009 at 1:09:05 pm

Yep,

You have to do it manually. Sorry. But it's not that bad. Shoot a test as well.

David

Peace

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]