FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED LUT On-Set Preview Workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Briggs
RED LUT On-Set Preview Workflow
on Jul 10, 2009 at 11:58:54 am

Hi Guys

I'm fairly new to RED and its mysteries. Our in house RED expert is on Holiday next week and I've been booked in on a test grade for a feature thats shooting RED.

The DOP has shot some test footage that he wants to play around with various looks and then once decided upon one paticular look he wants to be able to preview this on location/set as he is shooting (without actually embedding the look on to the raw footage).

I'm thinking of taking the footage into our SCRATCH system or APPLE Color so we can play with different looks using primary color correction quickly and easily. Then I guess once a look has been decided upon I'll have to recreate this look by eye in REDcine or REDAlert and output an RSX LUT file that the DOP can apply to the footage on set???

The DOP will be bringing in several different clips that he wants graded - probebly not all in the same way - so I'll end up having to out put several different RSX files with different looks.

Whats the best workflow to do this? Should I use REDCine or REDAlert? Is there a way to get the grade Data from SCRATCH, BASELIGHT or Apple Color into a Red App and output an RSX file? Is it easy to output RSX files from the RED software?

Basically - if someone experienced with RED workflow out there was faced with this task how would you do it?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: RED LUT On-Set Preview Workflow
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:08:43 pm

I'd take a serious look at CLIPFINDER. This piece of software is an excellent first light and organizational tool. You can save looks and sets and then easily split off looks. You can copy the same look to several shots and then render the dailies from right in the program.

The grading tools are crude. DO rough grades in Clipfinder (it uses teh RED ALERT tools. and then you can use Color or Scracth to establish final looks.

David

Peace
Check out my new web series.
[url]http://www.ripperhockey.com[/url]

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 10, 2009 at 4:25:37 pm

I would also tell you to look at 3cP from gamma and density

this is the only app I know of that can create LUTs that can be read by all leading software and hardware vendors.

it is not free, but its power for LUT creation and versatility is far beyond what Clipfinder can do, however I still use clipfinder for the data control in and out of FCP.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jonathan Briggs
on Jul 13, 2009 at 9:48:11 am

Thanks Gary -

I'll show the DOP this software when he comes in later today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Briggs
on Jul 13, 2009 at 9:47:48 am

Hi David -

Thanks for the suggestion...

So how would the DOP get the looks that we create in Clipfinder into the camera or viewing monitor as a LUT or "Look" so that he could preview it on set...?

Would he just use the .RSX file that is created when grading in RED ALERT?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]