FORUMS: list search recent posts

RedRushes - what speed to expect? User error or feature?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Dillaman
RedRushes - what speed to expect? User error or feature?
on Jul 3, 2009 at 5:01:29 am

Hi there,

We're in the early days of shooting a movie on a borrowed Red. We just did our first day of shooting at 4K, for a movie within the movie, planning to finish in Avid (since it's just for an SD DVD we'll be playing in the film - the feature itself will be finished in a Baselight suite).

I hooked our external drive up to my 2.4 Ghz dual-core MacBook Pro via FW800, set RedRushes Build 20 to do its work ...

(by which I mean:
RENDER TAB:
Debayer Quality: Full Res
Timecode: External/TOD
Look Source: Camera
Color Space: REC 709
Gamma Space: Look Source

SCALE:
Scale: 1920x1080
Fit/Stretch: Fit Width
Resample Filter: Gauss

OUTPUT TAB:
Output Format: QT Movie
Quicktime Codec: Avid 1080P DNx175
Reel ID: Full Name)

... and left it going overnight, expecting it to take a while.

Well ... there's a while, and then there's A WHILE. At the moment, we seem to be averaging 1 3-minute rush taking a good 12 hours to process.

Now, I appreciate 4K is huge, this is the future, this is a lot to expect out of a laptop, et cetera ... I just want to make sure this is the expected behaviour, and/or check to see if we should be tweaking our settings to something that will provide an imperceptible change in quality but a massive difference in speed.

(For the feature itself, we'll be transcoding to Avid 1080P DNx36 as our offline resolution, since we'll be reconforming at the end.)

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Return to posts index

joe hedge
Re: RedRushes - what speed to expect? User error or feature?
on Jul 3, 2009 at 5:40:40 am

It's the Full Res debayer setting that's killing you. Not to mention doing 2k transcodes on a laptop.

I would heartily recommend offlining with scaled 720 transcodes at half res standard or lower, and onlining with full res (or half res high) 2k's, before you wake up one morning and find a smoking pile of ash where your laptop used to be.

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
Re: RedRushes - what speed to expect? User error or feature?
on Jul 3, 2009 at 11:54:15 pm

Half-high for 2k finishing, and half-standard for editorial is the way to go. Unless you need 4k, don't decode to it even to scale down.

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]