FORUMS: list search recent posts

Jerky Playback when I increase speed of Red footage in FCP?!!

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lisa rolley
Jerky Playback when I increase speed of Red footage in FCP?!!
on Jun 16, 2009 at 5:33:09 pm

Hey friends

So iam still working on this 2k 24 fps RED project which I posted about last week in regards to the banding issues.

The latest issue I have is that whenever i apply a speed change by increasing the clip anywhere from 10% to 100% above its actual speed I get stuttery playback - or maybe jerky playback is a better way to describe it. I have tried it on all of the clips and it happens to every single one no matter how small the speed increase is - wtf?!

I the footage was originally shot 2k at 24fps and then i transcoded it to 1920x1080 in RedRushes for editing purposes...this time around i did not convert to 23.98 because its for web only at this point and I am ok with just viewing it in fcp and not on a crt or hd monitor.

any thoughts on why this might be happening??

thanks

Lisa

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Jerky Playback when I increase speed of Red footage in FCP?!!
on Jun 16, 2009 at 8:04:42 pm

Have you rendered the footage?

-Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jun 16, 2009 at 9:15:56 pm

yes rendered

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 16, 2009 at 9:47:38 pm

Make sure frame blending is turned off in Speed too.

Noah

Writing RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jun 16, 2009 at 10:12:24 pm

hey noah,

yeah totally i tried all the clips fro mthis shoot and they all do this even at like 110% in fcp when i apple j the clip - i just dont know what is going on here and the director is asking for speed changes in the latest cut of this project...oh man why me!

any thoughts anyone - helllllllp

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 16, 2009 at 10:03:20 pm

Any speed change with FCP alone can show some jerkyness. Try Motion instead or AE with Flow Motion (best quality) activated.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jun 16, 2009 at 10:21:15 pm

yeah i figured that would be the next step but iam just bummed to not be able to do it like quickly in the edit - it seemsl ike it will be a huge pain in the butt to do it this way if i have to keep tweaking etc and dont necessarily have an exact thing or timing i need to fit...but more creative on the fly editing that needs to happen...also not string at all with AE and motion yet so thats a whole other thing.

I honestly have never seen this type of sever jerky-ness when doing speed changes?!

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jun 17, 2009 at 7:01:23 am

Is it jerky if you transcode to ProRes first?

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jun 17, 2009 at 2:19:49 pm

yeah thats the very first thing i did in redRushes - convert it from 2k to ProRes 1920x1080 @ 24fps...

this makes no sense i just dont understand why this is happening does anyone know what this could be about?

thanks
Lisa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]