FORUMS: list search recent posts

BANDING ISSUES

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lisa rolley
BANDING ISSUES
on Jun 9, 2009 at 7:41:30 pm

Hey RED peeps!

I am having this crazy banding issue and I am seeing in the proxy and my RedRushes ProRes render - its all footage of a model on a turntable - pretty dark lighting and when i look at the F proxy i see it on that as well so I am thinking its just how the footage looks BUT i want to make sure. I am told that the proxy is an 8-bit quicktime wrapper SO i tried doign full res for debayer and uncompressed 10 bit for my export settings in RedRushed but i still see the banding in the footage.

Next thing I am going to try is exporting tiff files to see if that helps at all...

This is all Red 2k @ 24fps

Thoughts?

Lisa

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: BANDING ISSUES
on Jun 9, 2009 at 8:37:57 pm

Set your sequence to higher quality.

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jun 9, 2009 at 10:04:18 pm

I am nto sure what you mean...i have not even brought the clips into FCP yet.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jun 10, 2009 at 12:26:15 am

What does it look like on a broadcast monitor. Most of the time banding is due to your graphics card or your display settings and does not appear in the footage on a broadcast monitor. Also what gamma and color spaces are you using to make your ProRes files? Those make a big difference as well.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 10, 2009 at 1:07:24 pm

Remember the following.

2K uses a center cut cropped portion of the sensor to record the images, so it is not using the full 4k sensor area.

2K and low light could be a potential combo for banding issues.

What build?
Redcode 28 or Redcode 36 could also be the culprit? If shot at Redcode 28 there could be more of a chance for banding.

2K shooting should be at Recode 36 for sure.

2K images are generally grainier then the full 4K.

David

Peace
David

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Jun 10, 2009 at 8:14:41 pm

I have never seen a banding issue in the actual R3D data - ever. If I've seen banding, it's always been one of two things:

1) a display artifact - most displays are 8bit (or less)
2) a codec artifact from whatever codec you transcoded to (perhaps coupled with 1 above)

If you determine it's in the R3D, I need to see it.

However, it's most likely the transcode or the display that's doing it. To sort it out, you may have to add a tiny amount of noise to the image to dither it.

THe Quicktime reference movies are not 8bit BTW - they're representations of the underlying 12bit data that can present that data in either 8 bit or 32 floating point format depending on what the host playing / transcoding app asks for!

Graeme

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jun 11, 2009 at 2:28:27 pm

Hey guys
thanks for the responses - sorry i did not reply sooner.

So because on this batch i left it at 24fps i have not actually seen it on a broadcast monitor at this point - i do have a crt which i could use my blackmagic settings to ltrbx 16:9 and just look at it while the playhead is parked but ideally i would do as david told me to on the last project and use cinema tools to ocnvert to 23.98 and then watch down on one of the hd monitors i have access to.

The Gamma & color space settings are RedSpace just like on the last project as well - I used RedAlert to find out the metadata info and then selected accordingly in RedRushes for a ProRes HQ export...i also tried uncompressed 10 bit as well as tiff sequences which i then made into uncompressed 10 bit qt files using qt pro = all resulting files have the banding still in the footage.

I have no idea what build the DP used i was just handed the footage - i will try to find out today just to let oyu guys know the deal and obviosuly i will tell this guy who shot all these different RED model spots to shoot at 23.98 as opposed to 24fps!!

Any thoughts on how to proceed and what might be possible for this project??

thanks

Lisa

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jun 15, 2009 at 8:23:14 pm

Lisa always gets the fun projects. :)

Return to posts index

lisa rolley
on Jun 16, 2009 at 5:25:11 pm

seriously what am i jinxed!!!!!!! thanks guys for the help anyways : )
cheers
lisa

Return to posts index

dany schelby
on Oct 11, 2009 at 2:32:50 pm

Hi Lisa,

Same problem here. Clear blue sky and a lot of sunset material. No possible to render R3D to qicktime without classic 8bit banding. I try CINEFORM, 10bit RGB and PRORES HQ (444 chromasampling) and DPX, TIF also. But the problem is in all files.

No idea why.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]