FORUMS: list search recent posts

2:1 to 1080, when to convert?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Mullen
2:1 to 1080, when to convert?
on May 13, 2009 at 3:54:53 am

I've got a few hours of RED footage, shot 2:1, to be finished at 1080p. I jumped in, maybe a little too eager, and Log-and-Transferred everything into FCP at ProRes HQ. I never saw anyplace to scale or crop, so I figured I'd do it in the timeline. Though now that the orange render bars are showing up, I realize I might have missed a step - because I'm editing 2048x1024, and somewhere in there I'm going to need to resize to 1080.

Should I transcode everything to 1080 before I keep editing, or should I edit in a 2:1 timeline (allowing for 16:9 framing) and then resize last of all?

Or is there a neat way to reconnect to the R3D files at the dimensions I really want?

thanks!

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: 2:1 to 1080, when to convert?
on May 13, 2009 at 1:54:34 pm

Jeremy,

I would suggest you have two options:

1. Continue editing and do everything in the 2:1 timeline and at the end of the process place that sequence in a 1080 sequence and use FCP to to the slight blow-up. In the new timeline you could also select all of the best render settings for motion, etc.

2. Re-encode the media using RedRushes, make the aspect ratio 16x9 and do a fit to height in the settings of RedRushes. Reconnect the media in Final Cut Pro.

If you are very deep into your edit I would stick with option 1. If it's still early you can choose option two.

I have not done tests to see which rescaling method would be best but if you do one or two clips in Red Rushes and then compare them to the FCP blow up, you could tell pretty quick which option you want to use for you particular circumstance.

Cheers,

Peace

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: 2:1 to 1080, when to convert?
on May 13, 2009 at 3:10:21 pm

REDrushes (or Clipfinder, my favorite) offers much more control over the scaling method to use. That way you can fine tune the compromise between aliasing and blurriness inherent to any scaling.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]