FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Alert output via Kona

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Parke Gregg
Red Alert output via Kona
on Apr 9, 2009 at 12:53:40 am

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere...

We've got a really good Red workflow that has allowed us to serve the needs of both Avid and FCP clients for a variety of projects, but I've got one major wrench in the works. It is the fact that I can't view RedAlert on a broadcast monitor (via a Kona 3).

So my question is two parts: 1) for Graeme (and anyone else)... Can a future version of Red Alert support the Kona card?

2) Currently, I make a color change in RA, render it out, import into FCP, watch it, repeat, repeat, repeat. Is there a better way to hone in an initial one-light grade. (I've calibrated my computer monitors to no avail.)

Thanks,
Parke

-------Stuck On On--------
Audio and Video Post Production

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Red Alert output via Kona
on Apr 9, 2009 at 1:45:57 pm

[Parke Gregg] "It is the fact that I can't view RedAlert on a broadcast monitor (via a Kona 3)... Can a future version of Red Alert support the Kona card?... Currently, I make a color change in RA, render it out, import into FCP, watch it, repeat, repeat, repeat. Is there a better way to hone in an initial one-light grade. (I've calibrated my computer monitors to no avail.) "

why not look into one of the numerous tools that allow for LUT creation and adjustment with controls to an external display like the CineTal Cinemage.

Iridas SpeedGrade and the soon to be released 3cP from Gamma and Density both offer the ability to grade your image while attached to a calibrated CineTal display.

3Cp will allow playback over HDSDI from your Kona Card.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Graeme Nattress
on Apr 9, 2009 at 3:50:56 pm

1) no,

2) Scratch / Scrathcine will output to a video monitor.

Why - REDAlert is not a grading tool. It's a raw development tool.

- http://www.nattress.com - Film Effects and Standards Conversion for FCP

Return to posts index

Parke Gregg
on Apr 9, 2009 at 7:03:47 pm

Thanks for your responses.

Gary, I'll look into the SpeedGrade and the 3cP solutions. Not sure how a LUT creation tool would help me. Could you explain?

Graeme, could you tell me what you mean by a Raw Development tool?

What I really like about RedAlert (and it's connection with RedRushes/RedLine and 3rd party tools like ClipFinder and MonkeyExtract) is the RSX file. I think that was a brilliant idea to add a way to adjust the raw file separately from the metadata saved by the camera, and then have it accessible for batch rendering. Batch rendering is the clincher for us.

Are there other apps that can generate RSX files? Does Scratch read/write RSX files?

While RedAlert may not be a grading tool, it is very good at performing a "one-light" grade... getting the footage in the ballpark for an offline edit. It also gives me a good headstart for when I pull the footage into Color during the online. (I don't currently use Color to access R3D files because a fair amount of footage we see is a mix of 4K and 3K, and Color rendering out different final resolutions is a problem for us.)

I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but a simple "one-light" grading tool that generates RSX files and supports video output would be very useful to my Red workflow, and I'm guessing many others', as well. RedAlert is really really close to being the tool. With the histogram, curves, white balance, etc., it is exactly the control I need for an initial color pass... I just need to be able to see it on a calibrated video monitor.

Graeme, I may not have made my case to you, but please pass on the idea of a "RedAlert Pro"-like app. It would be a very valuable tool that I would gladly pay for.

Thanks,
Parke

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Apr 10, 2009 at 7:25:40 am

Hi Gregg,

you wrote: "While RedAlert may not be a grading tool, it is very good at performing a "one-light" grade... getting the footage in the ballpark for an offline edit."

Yes, and since that's the point of a one-light, you don't really need a Kona output. A first light ist meant to correct massive aberrations to stick your eleven and a half stops (or whatever you rate the RED) into 10 bit files like ProRes and still have room for final grading.

When doing a final grade, of course you need Kona output. But Color has it, just like FCP. Plus, Color can access the RAW files and you don't even need to care for one-light.

I always perceived REDAlert as a simple, free tool to see something while there was nothing else around in the early days. But RED is obviously concentrating on cameras and leaving editing or grading software development to others – and the are streaming in by now with thousands of REDs out in the market. So, get one of them, you can choose a range from Apple all the way up to Quantel…

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Parke Gregg
on Apr 10, 2009 at 6:29:22 pm

Yes, and since that's the point of a one-light, you don't really need a Kona output. A first light is meant to correct massive aberrations ...

Even though its just for roughing in, it will still be very nice to know with confidence, what my tweaks are doing. As it is now, I render out test clips for shots in question, import into FCP, etc, repeat, etc... it reminds of printing test strips in a B&W photography lab back in college. (and it takes about as long :) .)

With the increased amount of Red footage we've been working on lately combined with DP's desire to sit in on the one-light/transcode, just as they do on film productions, I feel there is a real market for a pre-processing one-light tool (using RSX to take advantage of RedLine's batch rendering).

As the Red camera gets adopted for a wider range of productions, we're starting to see more and more jobs that ONLY get the initial one-light, and the first round of transcoded QTs become the new masters (with no online session). This tool I hope for would be ideal for these less than ideal projects, as well.

Thanks,
Parke

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 10, 2009 at 1:43:11 pm

[Parke Gregg] "Gary, I'll look into the SpeedGrade and the 3cP solutions. Not sure how a LUT creation tool would help me. Could you explain? "

the full version iridas speedgrade (XR or DI) software allow users full control of controls and output from all RAW camera formats including RED, Phantom, Arri -

You are thinking of Speedgrade Onset which only does LUT and .Look tables- and to me the OnSet versions is required on any job were you are being asked to create standardized LUT's for use on set and in Post.

The 3cP solution offers output versions including iPod dailies, ProRes, DnxHD- all the way up to graded 4K dpx files

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Paul Hartel
RED ALERT support
on Nov 1, 2010 at 7:55:38 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know, IS there any downloadable document that tells you how to use RED ALERT? I can't find anything on the Red website, and a google search is something of a nightmare, as you might imagine with "Red Alert!" as part of it.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

PH

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]