FORUMS: list search recent posts

H Proxies in FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Smith
H Proxies in FCP
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:10:37 pm

Has anyone been able to get H proxies to playback, without rendering, from a 1TB GRaid using FW800, outputting through a Kona 3 with a breakout box at 1080psf 23.976? The sequence settings follow the RED FCS Whitepaper, but we can't even get them to play back with video quality set to low. Transcoding 2K to QTs works fine, but I thought the 2K proxies were supposed to work on GRaids.
Thanks
Stuart

Posting this in a couple of other forums also.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: H Proxies in FCP
on Apr 1, 2009 at 6:20:43 pm

I do not think that he drive speed is the issue heree. It's only one factor. I think the bigger factor is processing power. The H reference movies are a real time de-bayering from an R3D source file being translated into a language that QT can read and understand.

The limitation is not only drive speed but the ability for a processor to decode this material on the fly. It's best to cut in FCP at lower quality and then put everything up to full quality and render that out to output.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Stuart Smith
on Apr 1, 2009 at 7:14:17 pm

Thanks, appreciate it.

Return to posts index

D. Gregor Hagey
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:05:55 pm

Are you rendering the H proxies to a 1080p timeline? A H proxy does not conform to any video resolution standard that is viewable on an external monitor, it can only be seen in motion on a computer display. If you use a 1080 ProRes sequence and select AJA 1080p 23.98 as your video playback it should work (works with my FW800 drive).

Gregor

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Apr 1, 2009 at 8:14:45 pm

[D. Gregor Hagey] "H proxy does not conform to any video resolution standard that is viewable on an external monitor, it can only be seen in motion on a computer display. If you use a 1080 ProRes sequence and select AJA 1080p 23.98 as your video playback it should work "

Gregor

this is one of the advantages of the Kona card, it will 'Legalize" the frame size to allow for the content to be played out via HDSDI.

You can drop the "H" proxy into the AJA TV app and it will playout the video tap correctly at the closest legal SMPTE frame size based on the original image and the size of the proxy you are using.
I do this all day long ONSET with nothing more than the free player app from aja.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Apr 2, 2009 at 5:11:47 am

H proxies from HD or 2:1 or 16:9? The HD derived proxies are a lot easier to play back, not sure about H though.

Noah

Check out my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Lens Adapter Guidebook, Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]