FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED File Structure damaged

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Wild
RED File Structure damaged
on Mar 24, 2009 at 9:37:28 pm

Hello Forum,

I´m new here, I´m a Editor, based in Munich / Germany.

Currently I´m working on a short, shot on RED, 4K. Build 17.Editing on Final Cut Pro, Grading on SCRATCH.

One big Problem, the "DIT" changed the name of the RDM and copied all the RDC´s in folders named Shot 1_Take1 and so on, Now FCP isn´t able to import the clips via the log and transfer tool.

The First times fcp gave me a error message like"invailid file path, now its just crashing.

Last Week we did some tests where the file structure was correct, these files will work well with the log & Transfer workflow.

Redcine isn´t able to create Quicktimes, too. Only tiff is possible.
We are grading on SCRATCH, so it would be great to do the online with the original Raws.

Is anyone here who have a Idea how to get the Files into Final cut Pro as a ProRes Quicktime without going via DPX?

Thanx A LOT,

Sebastian

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: RED File Structure damaged
on Mar 24, 2009 at 10:06:46 pm

First try to use clipfinder or redrushes. They might import them still.

If he didn't change the name of the actual R3D files, you might be able to rename the folders back to the original names. It would be pretty tricky because the folders aren't in order anymore, but it might work.

Check out this program. It might work if you play with it a little.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Mar 24, 2009 at 10:19:57 pm

And take it as a lesson- never ever rename the RED camera folder names. Really never rename any folders any camera ever makes or copy anything less than everything the camera records to its media.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Sebastian Wild
on Mar 24, 2009 at 10:36:40 pm

Thx Russel, thanks for your help, I will try out the clipfinder workflow, Red Rushes won´t work.
Maybe you can tell me how to reconstruct the original RDM Names? The Digital magazine profiles are also gone.

Noah: You can believe me, I will teach this lesson to the DIT, seriously :-)

Sebastian

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Mar 24, 2009 at 11:14:21 pm

If your R3D file is named A001_C001_10012C_001.R3D, then:

Name the clip folder A001_C001_10012C.RDC
Name the reel/drive folder A001_10012C.RDM

You might need to try to recreate the digital mag files too.

To rename the folders with just some of your clips to see if it helps. I'm not sure if there is a way to have "A Better Finder Renamer" work, but it might.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Sebastian Wild
on Mar 24, 2009 at 11:33:33 pm

Okay, I will try this out tomorrow, thx a lot, hope it works!!! What is this Clipfinder tool? Didn´t find it in the web.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Mar 25, 2009 at 12:00:07 am

Clipfinder:

http://www.daun.ch/software/

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Mar 25, 2009 at 10:36:20 pm

Since you are based in Germany, make sure that you don't use non-ASCII characters in path names. I don't know if FCP cares, but REDrushes definitely has it's share of problems with them.

I got into the habit to use good ole UNIX filenaming (no special characters and underline instead of spaces) on the Mac and have had less problems in many apps on the Mac.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 24, 2009 at 10:41:33 pm

[Sebastian Wild] "One big Problem, the "DIT" changed the name of the RDM and copied all the RDC´s in folders named Shot 1_Take1 and so on, Now FCP isn´t able to import the clips via the log and transfer tool."

Make sure there are no illegal characters in the naming structure- NO Spaces -
this is one of my files A045_C005_1022XR_001.R3D

it is possible to rebuild the folder structure on a clip by clip basis (painfully tedious work)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Sebastian Wild
on Mar 25, 2009 at 10:16:34 am

Hey,

I saw that the DIT changed The RDC´s names as well, wenn I rename the RDC Folders, still no way to get them into final cut pro.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Mar 25, 2009 at 3:10:09 pm

Have you tried to see if Scratch will load the files? You could use scratch to render out QT files like DVCPROHD with the Raylight add-on. Then conform back in Scratch. It's not something I've tried yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Sebastian Wild
on Mar 25, 2009 at 4:39:45 pm

Yeah, scratch is the next thing I try.... The strange thing is that the test files are working... I cant even open a proxyQT in quicktime. Hope the files are okay....

Return to posts index

Sebastian Wild
on Mar 25, 2009 at 1:46:39 pm

Thanx to all of you for your advices!

One last question: I can rename the RDC´s, but this still doesnt work. To rename the RDM´s, i need somthing what tels me the name of it, becaose the naming of them has nothing to do with the RDC´s name...

Cheers,

Sebastian

Return to posts index

D. Gregor Hagey
on Mar 25, 2009 at 4:58:03 pm

Here is an example of a the file path:

/A001_1124LE.RDM/A001_C001_1124CQ.RDC/A001_C001_1124CQ_001.R3D

For the record I have had the DMT change a mis-set roll number and have had no problems with the conform. In fact it saved time by not having different .r3ds with conflicting roll numbers. You just have to make sure that the .rdm, .rdc and .r3d are all changed.

Gregor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]