FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CS4 Workflow Question

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Elkins
After Effects CS4 Workflow Question
on Mar 24, 2009 at 2:46:42 pm

Hi everyone. Hopefully someone can help me as I'm a little stuck. Apologies if this has been answered before, I did search but couldn't find anything relevant.

I'm doing some pan & scanning in After Effects using a raw R3D file. This is fine, except when I import the file the colours are extremely washed out. I can correct this by using a filter, but surely there is some setting I'm missing which should allow me to import it in the correct colour space?
I'm on a Mac and the files look fine when I ingest natively or as ProRes into FCP.

Many thanks,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: After Effects CS4 Workflow Question
on Mar 24, 2009 at 6:29:40 pm

Are you looking at it with a LUT or any sort of gamma profiling? Sounds like you're looking at one of the LOG presets.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Mar 24, 2009 at 6:43:54 pm

Hi Noah,

Thanks for getting back to me.

[Noah Kadner] "Are you looking at it with a LUT or any sort of gamma profiling? Sounds like you're looking at one of the LOG presets."

I must admit that went over my head a little. I just imported the R3D directly into After Effects. Nothing has been done in Red Alert, so I'm just working with the metadata as shot (RedSpace). That is unless After Effects is applying a different gamma curve. Could that be the case, and if so, is there a way to change that?

Thanks very much,

Alex

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Mar 24, 2009 at 7:37:13 pm

Yes, Adobe is using a different gamma (Rec 709) and you can't change it. But since you have access to the raw files, you can tweak the images to your liking with all the tools in your apps.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 24, 2009 at 8:28:40 pm

[Uli Plank] "Yes, Adobe is using a different gamma (Rec 709) and you can't change it. But since you have access to the raw files, you can tweak the images to your liking with all the tools in your apps.
"

Careful Uli, R3d files work differently on macs than pc's and you can modify the rendering intent for r3d files but it will require that you open the AE prefs file (XML) and alter it to correct for anything other than Rec 709 output.

Michael Coleman's blog at http://blogs.adobe.com/keyframes/

or adobe's help

http://community.adobe.com/help/search.html?searchterm=R3D+support&q=R3D+su...

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Mar 25, 2009 at 10:29:23 pm

Thanks!

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Mar 26, 2009 at 11:13:06 am

Thanks so much for the help everyone. I've been so busy these last couple of days I've not had a chance to test the advice I've been given.
It sounds like the answer's there, but I'll check back over the next few days if I'm still having problems with it.

Many thanks,
Alex Elkins

Return to posts index

jay jingles
on May 18, 2010 at 7:47:27 pm

I'm having the same washed out image issues. I've read all the manuals and plenty of forums but haven't resolved the issue.

Do i need to interpret every single clip and change the preset dropdown from "As Shot" to "custom" and roughly bring the image back to what i think it should be?

Secondly, should colour management be rec709 for projects going to broadcast? And if thats the case does it make sense to match the "color space" / "user curve" to Rec.709 in the settings for the clip as well?

Thanks so much. I really appreciate any responses.

Return to posts index

jay jingles
on May 18, 2010 at 8:15:57 pm

I have the same issue upon importing r3d files to AE. It seems to be because the preset "as shot/default" (found within interpret footage) isn't retrieving the metadata details from the clip.

The quicktime proxies in the folder for the .r3d clip have a much different look to them than i achieve by changing the preset. I've clicked around with different color space/gamma curves but still not achieved it.

I can manually guess the settings, but is there a way to use RED ALERT to save that metadata into the file and have after effects interpret it properly?

thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]