FORUMS: list search recent posts

RT Playback Orange in FCP

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
MIchael Sacci
RT Playback Orange in FCP
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:10:59 pm

I'm being asked to help a friend finish his project so I'm being thrown into the middle and this is my first time dealing with RED.

He said he shoot the camera at 2K but the native QT clip from Log and Transfer is 1920x1080.

I have tried to follow the white-paper from the RED site and I get the footage in but when the compressor on the timeline setting is set to ProRes (HQ) or ProRes the entire timeline has orange bars and the playback is probably 5 fps or so, even with the video quality dropped to medium or low.

If we change the compressor setting to REDCODE the 1920x1080 RED clip plays fine but of course you can not render and transitions.

Now if I bring in a 2048x1024 clip I get the orange bar no matter what the compressor is set on.

I'm able to monitor out via my Kona card just fine but very reduced frame rate.

Just wondering if something is missing from (or I have overlooked) the white-paper or if this is normal playback behavior.

I'm running FCP 6.0.5, QT 7.6 on a 3.0 8-Core w/ 4 GB of RAM.

The main thing I was going to help him with is the round trip into Color and that is all working fine.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: RT Playback Orange in FCP
on Mar 6, 2009 at 9:54:52 pm

Which workflow from the whitepaper do you want to use, no. 1, 2 or 3?

Your format should be 2048, not 1920, or did he actually shoot in HD 4K?

Native clips are always orange, only ProRes imports are not.

Plus, QT 7.6 seems to be worse than 7.5.5

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

MIchael Sacci
on Mar 6, 2009 at 10:21:59 pm

[Uli Plank] "Which workflow from the whitepaper do you want to use, no. 1, 2 or 3? "
Workflow 2 but they used proxy files for the rough cut and have brought in the full RED raw files.

[Uli Plank] "Your format should be 2048, not 1920, or did he actually shoot in HD 4K? "
This has me confused but the clips in FCP bin state 1920x1080 / 23.98fps / REDCODE, I have no idea how this was setup in the camera, I don't have access to the files, I'm just testing a QT wrapped file.

[Uli Plank] "Native clips are always orange, only ProRes imports are not. "
Thanks, that is really what I needed to know, now I'm pretty sure I have it setup correctly, it is just not what my friend was thinking. In the end it is all good, he can keep editing with the proxy and then I can grade the 2K (or whatever he has. The to and from Color worked fine. We should be able to walk away with the final graded video as HD ProRes and then he can master than anyway he needs.

Thanks for response.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Mar 7, 2009 at 8:35:44 am

Careful with proxies, Apple is wrapping native footage for a good reason. If they reference R3D files longer than 2 GB (damn FAT32), you can get problems in Color.

When going in through L&T, FCP generates special IDs for all the files too.

I still wonder about 1920 by 1080, they probably shot in 4K HD.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

MIchael Sacci
on Mar 7, 2009 at 4:23:57 pm

I'm amazed at all the people that dive right into editing without testing the workflow to make sure everything will be smooth. A lot of my questions have been answered with a "I think we did..." My motto is a couple of hours of pre-testing can save days in post.

Since this was my first time dealing with REDCODE footage I didn't know what level of performance I should expect.

Like I said, I will be able to do what i need to do with the On-lined version of the cut and the 1920x1080 isn't going to cause any problems for finishing, in the end it will be mastered to Beta and web. Next week I will grab the actual RED files and take them into something like REDAlert, I think that should be able to answer the question on how it was shot.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 12, 2009 at 4:37:42 pm

Uli, it was shoot as 4K.

Thanks again for your help. Started color correcting yesterday, there are a couple of big time underexposed shots that I was able to bring up pretty well, still have a little grain but a little grain fits the scene okay.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]