FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP workflow issue

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Masiello
FCP workflow issue
on Mar 4, 2009 at 10:42:50 am

Hi All,

I a have a question/issue regarding my RED workflow with FCP 6.04. Here's the way I have been going about it...

1. Use Log & Transfer to import the R3D files which are transcoded as Apple ProRes (HQ)
2. Cut sequence in timely and creative fashion
3. Export XML (interchange format V.4) for online on another system
4. Receive furrowed brows and head scratches as the XML shows the reel as being the top most folder of the hierarchy of R3D.

(i.e) RED CONTENTS (folder) > A012_C064_0216D8.RDC (folder with R3D file & 4 Qtime proxies)

XML is looking for the reel name which in this case is RED CONTENTS as opposed to A012_C064_0216D8.RDC... regardless of which folders i throw the RED media into, THAT folder becomes the reel name.

Even if I place the R3D individual folders onto the desktop, DESKTOP is now the reel name. What i need is each individual clip to be the reel name.

Am i missing the obvious, should i drink more coffee or is there a greater power at play here my feeble mind can't handle?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: FCP workflow issue
on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:18:53 pm

First, how will the footage be onlined? Also, what does FCP say the reel names for the footage are? When you bring the footage in through Log and Transfer, what's the reel set to?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Mar 5, 2009 at 5:24:12 pm

Also, if you export an edl, what does it say that the reel names are?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

John Masiello
on Mar 6, 2009 at 5:11:09 am

Thanks Russell,

First, how will the footage be onlined?

We are onlining on Smoke

Also, what does FCP say the reel names for the footage are?

The Reel name is associated with the folder the media is held. If i move the media to a new folder or rename the folder, the reel becomes the folder name.

When you bring the footage in through Log and Transfer, what's the reel set to?

The reel is set to the folder, but i need the reel to contain the individual clip name. so that the XML, when smoke looks at it, sees individual and unique reel names, not the folder name. (I know i can copy & paste the sequence name to reel name, but this could be problematic) Am I missing a setting in the Log & Transfer that can allocate the reel name to the unique clip name?

Also, if you export an edl, what does it say that the reel names are?

The reels come back as the folder name...

Return to posts index

Julie Snider
on Jul 9, 2009 at 9:20:41 am

Hi John and Russell,
I've experienced this same problem when loading via log and transfer in fcp. When i load via Red Rushes though, i am able get the full clip name to load as the reel name.

Did you ever figure out if there is a setting to change in log and transfer so that it gets the clips reel name?

I've also noticed a discrepancy in my file structure from the prod. company, which may be part of the problem:

Most Folders follow this structure:
#1- Card 1/ B001_C013_0316MV.RDC/ B001_C013_0316MV_001.R3D + the 4 QT proxy files

But a couple of Folders have this structure:
#2- Card 1/ A002_031617.RDM copy/ A002_C010_0316D0.RDC/ 002_C010_0316D0_001.R3D + the 4 QT proxy files

When loading with FCP log and transfer-
With #1, the reel name in FCP was Card 1
With #2, the reel name in FCP was A002_031617.RDM copy

Is this because #1 did not have the .RDM folder above the .RDC folder?

When i load in Red Rushes however the reel name for #1 is B001_C013_0316MV and for #2 A002_C010_0316D0

I will use Red Rushes for loading from now on, but wanted to try and figure out what, if anything, went wrong in my FCP loading and/or the original file structure on the drive.

Thank you for any insight!

Julie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]