FORUMS: list search recent posts

RED to PAL output

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mohamed Kamel
RED to PAL output
on Feb 28, 2009 at 12:48:54 pm

Hi this is my first post, desperately need help on this issue:

We shot a video clip with RED one, 2K (2048*1152) at 25fps and i live in Egypt (PAL land) so i guess i have no option unless to master with the 720*576 standard to tape after all is done. my work flow is the following: Edit with H proxies, then export an EDL to color, conform to 2K and grade, send back to FCP, change sequence settings to 720*576 interlaced, non square 25fps, and scale the 2k footage to fit width leaving letter boxing, then master.

is there anything wrong with that? any other choices? what can i change to get the utmost quality.

Excuse my English (:

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: RED to PAL output
on Feb 28, 2009 at 2:54:38 pm

Mohammed, your english is excellent.

But for an SD delivery, this is way too much work. You have no need to do a 2K edit and conform,

May I suggest that you process the files directly into a 1080 ProRes (or any codec you choose to edit with) quicktime file at 25p to keep the need for very fast storage and high in monitoring. The monitoring and Playback of 2K video requires special monitors, Video cards like the Aja Kona 3 to handle that amount of data from your computer.

My steps would allow for a workflow similar to what you are doing now, I personally agree that you need to stay in HD until final output to keep content at the highest quality. Using an HD workflow for your project you would have the option for a film out if needed Since many films here in the US actually use 1920x1080 as a 2K delivery ( I prefer to stay at the DCI delivery size of 2048x1080 when ever possible.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Feb 28, 2009 at 7:59:13 pm

I'd like to second Gary's suggestions regarding staying in HD and usin ProRes.

Plus, how are you monitoring your video right now? Most I/O cards like AJA or BlackMagic support a pretty good downscale on-the-fly, i. e. in realtime.

Might save you quite some work.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Mohamed Kamel
on Mar 1, 2009 at 1:39:14 pm

Thank you guys for your respond, i'm currently moving around edit suits here in our post house, we are using AjA Kona LHe v.6.0.2 and a JVC Broadcast monitor plus an extra LCD for video preview. i have tried the prores work flow on the previous video clip with intent to master with it, and i honestly did not like the result, it was shot also by RED one 3k and transcoded everything to 2k ProRes HQ, when i didn't not like the results, i transcoded everything again to 10bit uncompressed 4:2:2 and the result was much better, so this time i was trying to find the most convenient work flow for us.

Also would like to ask: the edit is filled with motion effects and filters, i was going to render those out first separately as a self contained movie then back to FCP and send out the EDL to color? will that work or any other preferable method?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Mar 2, 2009 at 7:19:17 pm

It's a good idea to 'bake' all effects before going into Color.

And, yes uncompressed is better than ProRes if you have the necessary disk throughput.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Mohamed Kamel
on Mar 3, 2009 at 8:15:57 am

Well thank you all for your fast responses, very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]