FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow recommendation request

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Márton Gothár
Workflow recommendation request
on Feb 11, 2009 at 1:57:53 am

Hi All!

I have a project coming up, which will be shot on RED.

I have a 4 Core 3GHz Mac Pro with 6 GBs of RAM.

The show will be broadcasted SD, so the finish will be 1920x1080, or maybe 2k.

I've been reading around forums and the best thing to do appears to be to shoot 4k 16:9, then Log and Transfer to 1920x1080 ProRes HQ, Edit, than export TARGA for Lustre grading.

Check me, but this machine should be able to edit the prores version without problem ( I'd like to skip offline for this project ).

I've also read some older posts, which recommended taking the _H proxy to compressor, and making prores there.

Is that any better? Or faster?

What do you recon, how much time will it take for this machine to make 1920x1080 ProRes HQ through Log and Transfer from one hour of 4k footage?

Reply much appreciated.

Marton
mgothar.net

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Workflow recommendation request
on Feb 11, 2009 at 3:54:20 am

One thing is that 4k 16:9 files will import as 2048x1152 in Log and Transfer. If you shoot 4k HD, then it should be end up 1920x1080.

If you finish with those files, you'll want to try to maximize the color when you import into Final Cut by using looks. Don't try to make it look as good as you can, but make sure nothing clips. It would be better to keep a flat image than to clip the highlights too much.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:41:47 am

Yeah I'd shoot RED 4K HD and then do an offline edit with the medium proxies. Buy Crimson Workflow and finish in Color with full res ProRes proxies generated from your final EDL- or DPX if you want to get really fancy. There's really little reason to render from RAW to QT at the start of editing- ton of extra work that's totally unnecessary.

http://www.crimsonworkflow.com/

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Feb 11, 2009 at 7:29:31 am

Or use Clipfinder, if you don't need to use REDCine.
If your final delivery is HTV or Blu-ray, DPX is overkill in my opinion.

You see? There are many workflows for RED, not a single best one. Depends on delivery format, shooting ratio and the tools you need.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Márton Gothár
on Feb 11, 2009 at 9:23:49 am

Thank you for the answer guys.

The DOP wants to grade in Lustre no matter what, so I'll need to export a TARGA sequence on the end anyway.

Russel - What exactly do you mean? Since CC is through TARGA, I need to import the files without any mods or looks.

So what you guys basically recommend is to edit medium proxys, and online the final sequence when picture is locked.

But any word on conversion times?

1HR footage to ProRes HQ on 4x3Ghz|6GB RAM Mac Pro?

Thanks.

Marton
http://www.mgothar.net

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 11, 2009 at 4:50:43 pm

I have a quad core and typically run those things overnight...

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Feb 11, 2009 at 6:09:01 pm

You don't need full decode or ProRes HQ if it's offline anyway. Use Clipfinder or REDrushes and go quarter decode and DVCProHD (pretty fast) or half standard and ProRes (slower) if you need more quality to judge footage.

Lots of RAM (about 2 GB per core) help a lot with speed in RR or CF.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Carmen Del Toro
on Feb 17, 2009 at 9:07:58 pm

I would have to agree with my peers here about rendering out only your cut, once you have your DPX's you can take them into the Luster, scratch or Nucoda's Film Master for finishing. since you are staying in the broadcast world HDTV 1920 x 1080 will be sufficient for you, as long as you have that cut list and your R3D files you can re render out DPX's if needed ,and if you save color notes you could re-apply those to as well for the 2k out, if you are going out to film.

-CDT
Media wrangler

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]