FORUMS: list search recent posts

tape dailies?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Huggins
tape dailies?
on Feb 5, 2009 at 10:37:19 pm

Men,

I have a client who wants Red images for a commerical, put on SD tape with the dailies look set up in the field. Then match the TC to HD tape with the Red raw look, for a HD conform and scene to scene color correct after his offline edit. I am using FCP and Kona 3 for output, but the editor wants to cut on Avid from the SD and HD tapes.

I thought I could play the proxies file in real time to tape (no rendering) but while I can play (or make simple cuts) I can not record to tape with a matched TC start without a render on the timeline. So, I can output the native color grade in SD, but is there a way without doing a full render via RedCine (or Red Alert) to output an HD Red raw look that would match the TC start of the SD offline tape? Again, trying to make a tape to avoid long render times.

Thanks, Film Joe

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: tape dailies?
on Feb 7, 2009 at 12:22:18 am

So you'll need a timeline in SD with the look and a timeline in HD that's close to RAW.

For the SD timeline, I'd suggest using something like REDRushes at REDSpace/REDSpace or with a custom look from REDAlert, or using REDCine to process it. With the right settings, this can export to SD in about real-time depending on your hardware.

For the HD, I'd suggest just rendering over night at a high debayer, with minimal image processing. I like to process in REDSpace with a Rec709 gamma for this type of stuff.

Then just make a SD timeline and a HD timeline with matching timecode and make two tapes. Should work fine. But you're going to have to have a long render for the HD version. Then only way around that is to use Scratch (which can playback R3D files at 2k in realtime).

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]