FORUMS: list search recent posts

tape dailies?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Huggins
tape dailies?
on Feb 5, 2009 at 10:37:19 pm

I have a client who wants Red images for a commerical, put on SD tape with the dailies look set up in the field. Then match the TC to HD tape with the Red raw look, for a HD conform and scene to scene color correct after his offline edit. I am using FCP and Kona 3 for output, but the editor wants to cut on Avid from the SD and HD tapes.

I thought I could play the proxies file in real time to tape (no rendering) but while I can play (or make simple cuts) I can not record to tape with a matched TC start without a render on the timeline. So, I can output the native color grade in SD, but is there a way without doing a full render via RedCine (or Red Alert) to output an HD Red raw look that would match the TC start of the SD offline tape? Again, trying to make a tape to avoid long render times.

Thanks, Film Joe

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: tape dailies?
on Feb 7, 2009 at 12:22:18 am

So you'll need a timeline in SD with the look and a timeline in HD that's close to RAW.

For the SD timeline, I'd suggest using something like REDRushes at REDSpace/REDSpace or with a custom look from REDAlert, or using REDCine to process it. With the right settings, this can export to SD in about real-time depending on your hardware.

For the HD, I'd suggest just rendering over night at a high debayer, with minimal image processing. I like to process in REDSpace with a Rec709 gamma for this type of stuff.

Then just make a SD timeline and a HD timeline with matching timecode and make two tapes. Should work fine. But you're going to have to have a long render for the HD version. Then only way around that is to use Scratch (which can playback R3D files at 2k in realtime).

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved