FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wannabe Red Owner

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Pinner
Wannabe Red Owner
on Feb 1, 2009 at 1:43:06 am

I am seriously looking into purchasing a Red Scarlet when they come out. I am familiar with tapeless workflows such as P2, .TOD and XDCAM. How different is the workflow with Red?

I will use this cam for personal projects. I have experience on Avid Symphony, Avid Composer and XPress, FCP and Adobe CS3.

At home, I edit on Adobe CS3 with an Intensity Pro capture card. I also cut on Avid XPress Pro at home.

I have a self-built clone pc with the following
Xeon Duo Core 2.66
2G Ram
Qudro FX 370 (but I am about to get a better Quadro FX card)
Windows XP Pro SP3
Adobe CS3 (including After Effects, Photoshop, etc)
Avid XPress Pro

I do not have a Raid set up yet. I am still shopping for an affordable / effective external raid set up. I have available slots for Raid card and currently have the raid card installed that came with mother board (not too sure about that little guy). Any ideas for a good external Raid, affordable meaning on the low budget, indie level, please throw them at me.

So does it sound like I am set up enough to get a Red, or do I need more to my system to even begin. Does the Red have HDMI out for use with Intensity Pro? Just say I shoot a project with Red, planning to post on web and that's it, would using HDMI capture sound feasible?

Just wanted to start talking this out with guys that know about it before I commit to the purchase.

Thanks a lot.

Shawn Pinner
GOEFILMS.COM

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Wannabe Red Owner
on Feb 4, 2009 at 2:51:58 am

Hard to say as we haven't even seen an aluminum prototype of the Scarlet yet- I'd wait a while longer. 6 months is an eternity in this biz...

-Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Pinner
on Feb 4, 2009 at 3:07:46 am

Thanks for your reply. I've been following the Red since it came out and I have been wanting one since. I went crazy the second I heard that they were putting out a prosumer model. You're dead on about 6 months feeling like eternity. I can't wait!

Shawn Pinner
GOEFILMS.COM

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Feb 4, 2009 at 5:24:14 am

[Shawn Pinner] "I went crazy the second I heard that they were putting out a prosumer model."

I have a really hard time calling even the low end Scarlet with a fixed lens a prosumer 3K camera :)

There is just so much that goes into shooting, managing and finishing RED footage currently. It can be done and it's great, but I'd still consider digital cinema cameras like the Scarlet to be more professional than consumer. Don't let the sub $4k price tag fool you into thinking it will be a prosumer camera.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Marco Fabbri
on Jun 2, 2009 at 1:35:28 pm

Does anyone know when this camera is due to be released?

Marco Fabbri
Blue Chilli Productions
http://www.bluechilli.co.za

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
When Scarlet?
on Jun 9, 2009 at 10:38:12 pm

[Marco Fabbri] "Does anyone know when this camera is due to be released? "

Breaking news!

I have it on good authority that the Scarlet will be released the day after I finally give up and buy something else.

Bob C

P.S. I can also tell you with certainty that the stock market will go straight up the day after I cash in my IRA.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]