FORUMS: list search recent posts

this is my favorite Cow forum

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
this is my favorite Cow forum
on Sep 17, 2007 at 1:21:34 am

The excitement level, and the insanity level for this product, and it's corresponding workflow, is like no other product in our industry right now (and it's a lot more fun than trying to deal with someone wanting to know how to get their HDV Camera to edit all by itself).

If this camera didn't sell for $17.5, no one would even be looking at this forum (or paying attention).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
Re: this is my favorite Cow forum
on Sep 17, 2007 at 5:04:29 am

Anything for you, Bob.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut Pro systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck

Return to posts index

Blub06
on Sep 17, 2007 at 3:58:44 pm

If the iPhone has the moniker of the Jesus phone could this camera be the Jesus camera? Just like the iPhone I would guess that this thing redefines buyers remorse, even without the discount several months later.

Its the in thing TODAY, and, it shoots a pretty picture, I guess, and so I ask, so what? Can I hand the footage to a PA who brings it to a post house anywhere in New York or LA and come in the next day to start to cut? I have no doubt that in time (lets say one year) I can get a list of post houses that DO Red post flow, but in one year Sony will release their 4k camera with their work flow and who knows what Panasonic will have to offer. Is this all really about ownership of the camera? I probably can't afford a Sony 4k but maybe I can a Red 4k, so I go with Red? Because I can own it? Even though I have to rent most of the things I attach to the Red thing?

Two years ago the New York Times did a story about a game confab that was happening in the LA area, they mentioned that Sony had a new 4k camera that they were using at this thing to fiber optically transmit footage from LA to Japan. TWO YEARS AGO! What is Sony waiting for? Obviously a recording methodology and post flow as well as making the thing bullet proof, the usual stuff that makes all the difference but you don't notice it which is the point. It's also the kind of stuff that make their top end stuff kind of expensive, could this be an a chilies heel which makes it a rental not a purchase and therefore sell more Red cameras?

If Red is the Jesus camera could the Sony 4k be the God camera? And, maybe the Sony thing will be known as the Allah camera in other parts of the world?

Return to posts index

Arniepix
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:33:37 pm

For this week at least, you can put me in the amen corner with Bob.

The more I read about Red, the more I admire Silicon Imaging and how they created a workflow to make their SI2k camera useable (even if it only worked with Premier!) before they started shipping production models. But they didn't have the wherewithal to create the kind of religion that seems to be growing up around Red.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Red succeed. I haven't seen a camera cause this much excitement since the announcement of the Kinetta. But Kinetta, alas, seems to have never made it out of the garage. So it seems that it pays to have a billionaire on staff, and it also pays to take deposits. Nothing proves that your product is more real than taking deposits before you begin to develop it.

Red should be taught in MBA programs as an example of how to create marketing buzz. They made announcements that they would change history, they displayed mock ups at big trade shows, they took orders (with deposits!) before they even had a prototype, they made new artists conceptions available of it (outfitted with any number of imagined accessories) for download every week or month. Pure genius! Did I mention that I really hope that they succeed?

And, by the way, Bob, it doesn't reallycost $17,500. For $17,500, it's little more than a door-stop. To actually make it usable costs 3 or 4 times that. Plus a lens. And an edit system. And a workflow. But that's still a great price for a camera that will shoot 4k. Heck, it's a great price for a camera that will shoot 1080!

In the end, though, the proof will lie in the quality of the imagery and in the ease of the workflow. Rumor has it that they've nailed the first, I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can nail the second as well.

Arnie

Now in post: Peristroika, a film by Slava Tsukerman

http://www.arniepix.com/blog

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Sep 17, 2007 at 6:55:31 pm

[Arniepix] "I'll keep my fingers crossed that they can nail the second as well."

Apple Inc. is so deep into bed now with RED that they'll soon make a standard workflow a reality. After all, Steve & Co. have a reputation to uphold, too. At least, you'd think.......

- Don

Return to posts index

Kyle_S
on Sep 17, 2007 at 10:26:57 pm

What? You mean I'm gonna pay $17,500 and it is not going to shoot HDV? I want my deposit back, lol.

I still shoot way too many things where I need to just throw the camera on my shoulder and go or set up and shoot an interview now. So no matter how great it is, its not gonna help me much.

I will say it is highly entertaining to watch though.

K

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
I'll bet...
on Sep 19, 2007 at 2:29:49 pm

B>[Bob Zelin] "The excitement level, and the insanity"
I'll bet your favorite sports are something like Boxing, Kickboxing, Hockey or running with the Bulls.<

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]