FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio and the RED

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris rogers
Audio and the RED
on Jan 21, 2009 at 9:01:21 pm

Howdy Folks,

Anyone out there recording audio to the Red?

I am working on a FCP/RED project that has 5 channels of audio being recorded.

We are using the ProRez work flow and are planning to have a posthouse do our "Log and Capture" ProRez rendering for us.

I would like the audio to be recorded to the camera so that the syncing of audio can be done more easily by the posthouse and not editorial.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Chris

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Audio and the RED
on Jan 21, 2009 at 10:12:21 pm

The camera only has 4 channels, the older audio boards were pretty weak when used with microphones and FCP is currently only supporting 16 bit…

So, I'd do sep-mag.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Justin McAleece
on Jan 22, 2009 at 4:18:00 am

They are changing out the old audio boards for new ones on all the cameras but this will not include 5 channels. But it will mean that there is no noise or hiss when phantom power is used. I am getting my board done next week.

Great Rates, Expert Operators

Red One Camera Rental

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 22, 2009 at 7:36:15 am

Yes, I should have mentioned that, and they are even doing it for free. Great customer support. But you need some patience. What's your serial number, if I may ask?

TIA,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Jan 22, 2009 at 7:53:20 am

[Uli Plank] "and they are even doing it for free. Great customer support"

LOL

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Return to posts index

Justin McAleece
on Jan 22, 2009 at 8:19:17 am

I am camera #759. It's hard to find enough down time to send it in though.

They are changing out the old audio boards for new ones on all the cameras but this will not include 5 channels. But it will mean that there is no noise or hiss when phantom power is used. I am getting my board done next week.

Red One Camera Rental

Red One Camera Rental

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Jan 22, 2009 at 11:20:44 pm

But yeah- 5 channels isn't going to happen with a RED. It's only got 4. I'd get a nice Sound Devices, Zaxcom or AATON Cantar and go double-system like the big boys.

Noah

Check out My My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook,
DVD Studio Pro and How to Light Interviews.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Greg Curda
on Feb 23, 2009 at 5:05:30 am

I totally agree with Noah. Don't screw around with sound on the RED... Get a proper sound team and record double system. Treat the RED as any other film camera. I would ship a mono guide or "mix" track to the camera for cutting, but that's it. Check thread on Audio Professionals forum (ISO tracks) for more info...

Greg

Return to posts index

chris rogers
on Jan 23, 2009 at 4:14:11 am

Thanks for the great info guys.

We are getting the audio files as .WAV

Should I bother to convert them in FCP to aiff, or just drop them in the timeline and start cutting?

Is there a quality(sound level) difference, since FCP is converting .wav on the fly?

Thanks!
Chris

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Jan 23, 2009 at 9:16:18 am

WAV and AIFF are both uncompressed PCM and there isn't really any conversion going on. Things FCP doesn't like are compressed audio like MP3. Just go ahead.

Regards,

Uli

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]