FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera underbidding, should I be offended?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gunleik Groven
Camera underbidding, should I be offended?
on Dec 21, 2008 at 5:25:16 pm

So here I am, doing some dealing with a feature project, and the fun part is that I am totally underbid. You know, to the level that I really cannot compete. And guess what, it's not some RED dude with a cam he cannot emply, doing this, but Panavision UK.

Thing is, I do NOT feel hurt. BUT I'd rather like to pit the Genesis against RED in my own test. You know... Just for fun. And what really annoys me, is that I cannot get to that. NOT that they chose Panavision, which I am sure is a good choice.

Question:
Does that ake me a RED defaitist?

G

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
Re: Camera underbidding, should I be offended?
on Dec 21, 2008 at 6:17:43 pm

[Gunleik Groven] "Does that make me a RED defaitist?"

Keeping into consideration that RED has built a cult-like user base, the answer is yes. I have been slammed so many times for my criticism by the RED evangelists. I really like the camera but I also talk about all the issues that come with it. The sad part is that to some RED fans you can not criticize the camera, but reality is that time and time again it has fall short of expectations. Specially by seasoned DPs, directors and post professionals.

In my pinion, there is an big important niche market for the RED, but there are situations where it must be avoided. I have been on large shoots where the camera has performed amazingly, but I have also been on large shoots where the bugs have stopped the entire production day. Recently a split second in/out focus problem with the latest build and a very expensive film lens.

The quality of the RED footage is amazing and I am happy to be able to work with such affordable high detail / high quality video source that can resemble film in many ways, but sometimes it is frustrating to deal with all the extra weight that comes with new technology.

I have a strong love-hate relationship with the RED and that is what makes it fun!

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Finisher / Consultant

- Visit Stuart's studio on the web!
- More info about Stuart's studio on the COW

"Affordable HD - 2K - RED Post Production for Indies"

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Dec 28, 2008 at 2:03:57 pm

Stuart,

I hear you on this but the only thing that I would say is that RED (as a company) has been responsive to the challenges that arise.

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Stuart Ferreyra
on Dec 28, 2008 at 9:02:25 pm

[David Battistella] "RED (as a company) has been responsive to the challenges that arise. "

I completely agree with that. RED support is great.
But I don't agree with the user base / owners being so "touchy" about it when not even the actual company that makes the camera is.

Stuart Ferreyra
Timecode Multimedia
Colorist / Finisher / Consultant

- Now coloring History Channel's Nostradamus Special
- Visit Stuart's studio on the web

"Affordable HD - 2K - RED Post Production for Indies"

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Dec 29, 2008 at 8:59:09 pm

Yes,

Red has some pretty strong support from their users.

Underbidding goes on in every business.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]