FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do I have enough horsepower?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian McIlwain
Do I have enough horsepower?
on Dec 19, 2008 at 3:33:39 pm

Assuming I have all the proper drivers and plug-ins downloaded, I'm wondering if there are any hardware constraints when it comes to editing Red files. Are there issues with having enough RAM or a tough enough graphics card? I'm on a dual core Intel Mac Pro, 2.66 GHz Xeon processor, 9GB memory, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.

I haven't edited Red files before. But the DP on an upcoming project wants to use the Red camera. I want to be sure I can handle the media.

Can anybody help?

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Do I have enough horsepower?
on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:07:30 pm

Editing RED files natively is quite processor intensive. I'd suggest transcoding them to ProRes using Log and Transfer, or using RedRushes to transcode them to SD. How are you finishing the project?

For more info, read the whitepaper included in the FCS2 RED Installer on the RED support page.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:47:24 pm

Not to disagree with Russell but to offer an alternative.

I have stayed away from Pro Res as I think it adds a lot of time to the pipeline (rendering) and it is a RAM pig.

I like DVPROHD 720 because it looks great, it's square pixel and it is progressive. It has a low data rate and it's HD.

You can edit off a firewire drive.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Dec 19, 2008 at 5:00:21 pm

DVCPROHD 720/24P is my favorite edit codec. It's under 6MB/sec and still looks good. It's not square pixels though (I thought is was 960x720 anamorphic). But I've recently processed an entire feature at that codec for offline. Works really well. We'll finish it through Scratch with the 4k R3D files.

If someone uses the Log and Transfer with RED files though, it only goes to ProRes.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Christian McIlwain
on Dec 19, 2008 at 8:47:12 pm

Thanks guys. This gives me enough for an informed jumping off point. I appreciate your help.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 20, 2008 at 5:31:42 pm

[David Battistella] "I have stayed away from Pro Res as I think it adds a lot of time to the pipeline (rendering) and it is a RAM pig.
I like DVPROHD 720 because it looks great, it's square pixel and it is progressive. It has a low data rate and it's HD. "

yes it is all of those things

But the ProRes workflow is recommended by both Apple and RED

ProRes is 10 bit, DVCProHD is 8bit

ProRes is Full Raster, DVCPROHD is horizontally compressed

some apps like AE have issues with both codecs.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Dec 20, 2008 at 8:24:44 pm

I'm talking offline here, not finishing.

A DPX finish.

WHy offline with PRORES?
I see it as a slight disadvantage.

That's it.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Dec 20, 2008 at 8:28:30 pm

I second DVCProHD for offline, but ProRes is fine for online if the end result is meant fo HDTV.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Justin Coleman
on Dec 20, 2008 at 11:26:06 pm

Hi Guys,

I would love someone to start a poll/forum page where mac pro specs/red playback ability can be logged.

As a reference from my experiments using R3D files and trying to edit the proxies in FCP6, ie not having to transcode to prores etc, just importing the REDCODE proxies in the normal manner.

Mac Pro 2x 2Ghz Dual Core, 3gigs ram. - 1k proxies played and edited at full frame rates. 2k were jittery and did not play in a manner suitable to cut from.

Mac Pro 2x 3Ghz Dual Core, 14 gigs ram - 1k no probs, 2k no probs editing and playback at full frame rates and displayed through an HDLINK to 30inch screen looking very clean no stuttering. 4k was jumpy and could not be used to edit from.

The clear benefit of using a machine that could play back 4k proxies on the timeline using REDCODE is that there is no form of rendering necessary as this is the native compressor. Id love to know if anyone has played them back successfully on a top spec 8core machine.

Justin

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Dec 21, 2008 at 12:31:08 am

[Justin Coleman] "Mac Pro 2x 3Ghz Dual Core, 14 gigs ram - 1k no probs, 2k no probs editing and playback at full frame rates and displayed through an HDLINK to 30inch screen looking very clean no stuttering. 4k was jumpy and could not be used to edit from. "

You should also consider if the RT Extreme setting is high, medium or low. This will have a big impact on playback.

[Justin Coleman] "The clear benefit of using a machine that could play back 4k proxies on the timeline using REDCODE is that there is no form of rendering necessary as this is the native compressor."

I think this might be interesting, but really not very useful. First, you can't rendering in the REDCODE codec. It's a read only codec. Next, only a very small percentage of RED users will finish deliver at anything higher than 2k. And again, they won't be delivering in REDCODE. So why not rendering to something else that is more edit friendly?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]