FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best RED/FCP Workflow

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Stencil
Best RED/FCP Workflow
on Dec 1, 2008 at 6:14:14 pm

After going through a number of different resources, I'm still wondering what is the best workflow for offlining and onlining with the RED and FCP. What I've seen so far is a lot of people use ClipFinder.

The RED website provides a manual that talks about an easy way to use Log and Transfer, but the website itself says 'log and transfer workflow is coming soon.' Has anyone successfully tried their method?

I'm getting footage for the first time today and editing together a 3-4 minute piece. Ultimately I'll be exporting clips in 1080 to go to After Effects but I'd like to be able to go back to the 2k clips as well. Basically, I'm just looking for the most consistent and easiest method. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Gunleik Groven
Re: Best RED/FCP Workflow
on Dec 1, 2008 at 9:13:09 pm

You could cut from the H cam proxies and "send to Color" for online.

Still testing here...

http://www.vulture.no/

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Dec 1, 2008 at 10:10:21 pm

What are you finishing your final video for? DVD, broadcast, film/D-cinema?

There are so many workflows, it really depends on what you need.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Adam Stencil
on Dec 1, 2008 at 10:35:05 pm

Ultimately it will be for Broadcast in 1080, but I'll be exporting the shots for more post work in After Effects. The designers might want some of the original 4k footage.

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Dec 1, 2008 at 11:06:15 pm

As I said, there are a lot of ways to work with RED footage. The latest update to the FCP workflow is with FCP 6.0.5 and the updated RED plug-in located on the RED support page.

I would really suggest downloading the RED Final Cut Studio 2 Installer and reading through the whitepaper that is included. It is well written and very informative.

So go read the whitepaper, then come back if you still have questions.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Anna Thora Steinthorsdottir
on Dec 2, 2008 at 12:13:38 pm

I´m working on some RED footage in FCP. I have just imported the RED folders to FCP, then I´m editing the _M proxies and sending to color where I´m grading the 2K files and sending back to FCP as ProRes HQ. Some of my tests have worked fine and I can see some really beautiful results, but now I´m getting crazy because some files are jerking in Color. There are a few smooth shots and then out of nowhere one of them starts jerking and all that is left of the timeline. Color even renders these jerks and sends them like that back to FCP without any error message!!!
I´m doing my second restart.
If anybody knows what might be my problem, please tell.
Could it be my frame rate? It´s 25 fps.
I read somewhere that this workflow has only been officially tested on 24 or 23,98 fps.
All the best,

Producer / Editor
Klipp inc.
Reykjavik

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Dec 2, 2008 at 5:14:15 pm

I know that there have always been some issues off and on with 25fps footage. Can you import just one clip that you're having a problem with into a new project and see if it's causing problems.

Also, try changing the proxy settings in Color to quarter for playback.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Dec 2, 2008 at 6:20:12 pm

Could it be this?

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23105

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Dec 2, 2008 at 6:25:50 pm

Hey Uli,

Great find! So it really makes sense to use Log and Transfer to create new proxy files instead of just using the existing ones.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Dec 2, 2008 at 11:19:55 pm

Please read the whole thread. Some say that even wrapped files of very long shots cause some problems. I haven't seen that myself, though.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
on Dec 17, 2008 at 6:17:29 am

Color and 25 fps is buggy, from what I recall. Read here: http://www.twenty398.com/2008/12/finishing-while-waiting-part-1-the-challen...

Color Grading presets for After Effects, Premiere, etc., plus free presets and more.

LITTLE BLACK BIRD - PROFESSIONAL VISUAL EFFECTS

http://www.littleblackbird.com

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Dec 17, 2008 at 8:15:52 am

I wouldn't call it buggy in general, it's just a bit tricky with DPXs. It works for us with the new native Red workflow, even if not approved by Apple.

Regards,

Uli

Return to posts index

on Dec 17, 2008 at 10:20:00 am

I had problems using the proxies because many of my clips are more than 2GB's and they would always jerk in Color. I wanted badly to use this method but I had to get on with my work. I therefor used a safer method, described in the white paper and in FCP User manual. I transcode my footage to offline in ProRes and then I will use media manager to ingest the media in my edited sequence as native-files using the Red Plugin. Then I can send them to Color and grade the R3D (Red Native) and output in XML or QT. The tests I made for this workflow where fine. It takes a lot of time to log and transfer though...I'm still editing so the final word hasn't been said...

Producer / Editor
Klipp inc.
Reykjavik

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Dec 17, 2008 at 5:24:46 pm

I was not talking about using the proxies in FCP, but both versions of L&T import (native or ProRes).
Apple didn't list 25p as compatible in the whitepaper, but it works for us.

Best regards,

Uli

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]