FORUMS: list search recent posts

Proxies in Compressor

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cameron preyde
Proxies in Compressor
on Nov 28, 2008 at 6:39:11 pm

Hey All,

I'm trying to distribute render the RED Proxies through Compressor/Qmaster but I keep getting this error - "Can't transcode to Quicktime, source has no video or audio."

Do I need to place the r3d's and proxies into a central storage location to be able to distribute it? I'm trying it through a couple of MacBook Pro's and have the files stored in the Controller's Drop Box folder. I can access the files from the other computers through the drop box, but it just doesn't want to render.

Any tips...?

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Proxies in Compressor
on Nov 28, 2008 at 7:58:20 pm

I've noticed that when trying to use a mac to access proxy files that are located on a window's machine, the proxies don't work. Seems like they have to be copied to a local drive.

My guess is that it's the same with your set up. To test it, just mount the drive the R3D files are on from a different computer. With it network mounted, do the proxy files work, or do they need to be copied locally?

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

cameron preyde
on Nov 28, 2008 at 11:37:57 pm

"With it network mounted, do the proxy files work, or do they need to be copied locally?"

The proxies and r3d's are located on the controllers internal drive within the 'Drop Box' folder which is available throughout the network. This is where the files are dropped into Compressor from. It seems as though the other computers are not able to understand that the proxy is pointing to the r3d, though the controller does.

Is there some setting in Compressor that enables proxy transcoding?

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 29, 2008 at 5:52:29 am

[cameron preyde] "Is there some setting in Compressor that enables proxy transcoding?"

No.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 30, 2008 at 9:25:14 pm

Guys,

I have dragged reference movies into compressor several times and was able, especially before REDrushes and command line tools were available, in every instance to render that to QT media.

Your QT REFERENCE movies need to be in the same folder as the r3d files.

I have not attempted this cross platform as I can see it would be a problem (compressor reading QT Reference movies? I doubt that)

I have only done this with a MAC with the files stored on local drives.

This was the only workflow to edit in AVID for a short time.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Dec 1, 2008 at 5:53:41 pm

Yeah I suspect that would be a tricky thing on a distributed render farm over Compressor. It seems to work fine on a single machine but perhaps not going across a network. Perhaps the new QT/.R3D wrapper workflow we've received via Native Log and Transfer might get around this limitation and make network distributed renders in Compressor work better?

-Noah

Check out My FCP Blog and my new RED Blog. Unlock the secrets of the DVX100, HVX200 and Apple Color.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, DVD Studio Pro and Sound for Film and TV.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

simon robbrecht
on Feb 26, 2009 at 2:19:59 pm

Has anybody found a solution for distributed rendering over Compressor yet? I am getting the same error...

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Feb 26, 2009 at 5:43:13 pm

Distributive encoding over different computers using the proxy files doesn't work. It has something to do with how the proxies are referencing the R3D files, and over a network, that relationship doesn't work right.

You can use Qmaster to use all of the processors on one system though.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]