FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reconform

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Skaja
Reconform
on Nov 24, 2008 at 7:47:47 pm

I received an FCP timeline ready for compositing and online. The editor brought the RED files into FCP, then compressed them into ProRes 422 HQ 720p24. Then imported those files into Avid to edit. When done editing, he went back to FCP and reconformed using the ProRes 720p files, and created an FCP timeline which was then given to me. In Final Cut, is there a way I can reconform (again) to the 2k files without doing it manually?

Scott Skaja
edit/design/animation
http://www.scottskaja.com

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
Re: Reconform
on Nov 25, 2008 at 12:58:36 am

First, upgrade to FC 6.0.5 (it's part of the PROAPPS 2008-04 update).

Then follow these steps from the RED FCS Whitepaper (page 16-18):

Using RED Media with Final Cut Studio – Nov 11, 2008 16
Stage 2 — Reconform Your Project to RED QuickTime Media
1. Once your edit is locked, prepare your edited sequence to be media-managed by
moving all video clips that aren!t being superimposed as part of a compositing
operation down to track V1. This makes navigation and grade management much
easier once you start working in Color, and may eliminate unused clips from the
Timeline, reducing the amount of media needing to be reconformed.

Using RED Media with Final Cut Studio – Nov 11, 2008 17
2. If you haven!t already, create a “RED Using ProRes” sequence preset in Final Cut
Pro. (For more information, see “Creating a RED Using ProRes Sequence Preset in
Final Cut Pro.”) You!ll use this preset to media-manage your edited sequence.
3. Right-click the edited sequence in the Browser, and choose Media Manage from the
shortcut menu to open the Media Manager. The recommended settings are:
• Media pop-up menu – Create Offline
• Include render files – off
• “Set sequences to” pop-up menu — “RED Using ProRes” (the name you gave the
sequence preset you created)
• Include master clips outside selection – off
• Delete unused media from duplicated – off
• Use Handles – off
• Include affiliate clips outside selection – off
• “Base media file names on” pop-up menu – existing file names
• Duplicate selected items and place into a new project – on
• Include nonactive multiclip angles – off

4. Next, click the Browse button in the Media Destination area and choose a location to
save the media and the new offline sequence you!re creating, then click OK.
5. When the Media Manager operation finishes, you need to change the ingest options
of the Log and Transfer window before you begin to actually ingest media:
5.1. Open the Log and Transfer window, and choose Preferences from the Action
pop-up menu (the menu with the gear icon).
5.2. When the Import Preferences sheet appears, choose Native from the
“Transcode to” column corresponding to the RED Plugin.
5.3. Close the Log and Transfer window when you!ve finished.
6. Lastly, right-click the new offline sequence that!s been created, and choose Batch
Capture from the shortcut menu. When the Log and Transfer window appears,
reingest all necessary footage from your archived RED media directories.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Jussi Lehto
on Nov 25, 2008 at 1:25:42 pm

Hi
and if fcp chooses to open log & capture instead of log & transfer?
how does fcp decide witch media type (tape or file based) the offline clips are?

J.

TJL

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 25, 2008 at 4:58:01 pm

I haven't tested this yet, but I'm guessing that it looks at some sort of metadata that is included in the clip if you originally used Log and Transfer to convert the files to ProRes.

Another option is to use the Log & Transfer to create new QT wrappers for the R3D files, then just reconnect to those instead of the ProRes clips. (As long as your naming convention stayed the same).

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on May 15, 2009 at 12:57:27 am

I'm having the exact same issue with reconform. FCP opens Log and Capture, not Log and Transfer.

The offline files were 720p files created in Red Rushes (not through Log & Transfer), now we're trying to reconform a sequence, and Log and Capture doesn't help us much. Any ideas for what to try next?

Return to posts index

Dj Turner
on Jun 24, 2009 at 10:23:48 pm

This process only works IF you converted the ProRes files within FCP (which sucks because of its MAJOR limitations). For some reason, RedRushes does not supply FCP with the proper metadata and therefore thinks it needs to open up Log and Capture as opposed to Log and Transfer. The only solution I have found is to use Clipfinder http://www.daun.ch/software/. You can export an xml in FCP and then online in Clipfinder. It will spit out an XML referencing the R3d proxies. Only problem; you need OS 10.5 to run it.

Return to posts index

Jan Russell
on Sep 23, 2009 at 6:35:36 am

Hi
Does anyone know if this problem has been solved? I have just edited a large project in FCP using ProRes from Red Rushes and now I need to reconform from the original files.. trying to work out the best way to do it.
All the best
Jan

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Sep 23, 2009 at 4:57:39 pm

Have you heard of Clipfinder? Get it - it's a fabulous tool for lots of RED related tasks.

http://www.daun.ch/software/

I was able to export an XML from FCP, and using ClipFinder, use "Run conform on FCP XML" and it will take your XML file, and replace the .mov files with the .r3d files. Then you can open that in FCP, using R3d's QT reference movies, and send it to Color.

I had a few hiccups that I can't remember at the time, maybe the sequence settings were off, maybe the motion tab scale was off - can't remember exactly, but it was easily fixed. Of course, you need to make sure the timeline is Color-ready, and 2K is the maximum resolution, you'll get, but that's the best FCP can offer at the moment.

(I haven't upgrade to FCP 7 yet, but I don't think there's been any new developments on that front - except Color 1.5 is supposedly easier to work with - speed changes, stills, etc...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]