FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software to auto backup files on set

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Elkins
Software to auto backup files on set
on Nov 18, 2008 at 1:39:34 pm

Hi everyone. There's some software I'm trying to track down but I can't remember its name!
It allows the operator to insert a RED card (or XDCam, P2, AVCHD etc) into the card reader, and automatically backs it up onto up to three different locations. It also gives the option to format the card afterwards, rather than having to do that in the camera. Can someone tell me what it is I'm thinking of!? I'm sure I read someone mention it on this forum, but I can't find it.

Thanks a lot,
Alex

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
Found It!
on Nov 18, 2008 at 1:46:44 pm

Never mind, I found it. For anyone who didn't already know, the software I was describing is called 'Shotput: RED Edition' by a company called Imagine Products. http://www.imagineproducts.com/

By the way, does anyone have experience of using this or similar software? It looks pretty useful but maybe there's something better that I've not encountered.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Found It!
on Nov 18, 2008 at 4:18:46 pm

[Alex Elkins] "It looks pretty useful but maybe there's something better that I've not encountered."

I use the PRO version so I only need one app for XDcam, P2 and Red footage.

I love it and do not use anything else.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Nov 18, 2008 at 4:56:31 pm

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the feedback, it's good to know that there are people using it happily.
From my point of view there's little benefit in having the XDCam and P2 capabilities that come with the Pro version, as any shoots we do in those formats generally don't require a technician taking charge of a constant stream of cards being backed up in the way that shooting with 8GB RED cards does. Or is there something else about the Pro version I'm missing?

Thanks,
Alex

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 18, 2008 at 4:21:15 pm

There is also R3D Data Manager that you can look at.

http://www.r3ddata.com/

I haven't used either R3D Data Manager or Shot Put yet.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 19, 2008 at 8:44:45 am

We have tried R3DManager for two projects and were very happy with it.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

Sam Roberts
on Nov 20, 2008 at 12:37:51 am

Hi....are you guys using these programs to actually back up three drives on set? I'm looking for an on set hard drive right now and was thinking of just one drive. Any recommendations?

Return to posts index

Alex Elkins
on Nov 20, 2008 at 11:23:22 am

[Sam Roberts] "are you guys using these programs to actually back up three drives on set"

That's right - one belongs to the client, which they get back at the end of the day, one belongs to us which we keep as backup, and the third also belongs to us as a secondary backup. Maybe overkill but you never know - two drives is a minimum and I wouldn't want to be backing up onto the internal hard drive as a rule, particularly if we were doing any on-set rough editing.

Check out the G-RAID Mini for a good, portable drive which is fast enough to edit with as well if you need to... http://www.g-technology.com/products/G-RAID-mini.cfm
Or just a decent drive with enough space on it. Make sure it's one that transports well. LaCie Rugged drives aren't bad in my experience and they're well-priced. If you're backing up onto a MacBook Pro I'd suggest getting a Firewire 800 card as well - that way you have three FW800 ports, and the backing up can be reasonably fast.

Of course, you can do all of your backing up without any software, but what you can't do is format the card afterwards. Letting the software do that saves disturbing the filming process by having to ask the camera op to format the card for you. It's nice to be able to hand them back ready to go. Also the software claims to do a faster and error-free backup, which is always nice.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

Carl Skaff
on Nov 28, 2008 at 1:16:10 am

Hi guys

I stumbled accros this thred and it seems to be the thing I realy was looking for wihout knowing it.

For you who are using "R3D Data Manager"... have you tryed to backup to LTO?
Or maybe reading from CF, backing up to:
2 x LTO (r3d, qt-proxy and Prores-QT)(Theese go to storage for long time archive)
1 x Big raid (r3d, qt-proxy and Prores-QT)(this I take home in case my client drops his copy)
1 x Small client drive (only Prores-QT or Avid MXF's)(this one goes with the client into offline)

Has anyone tryed the "render to quicktime"-tool?
Seems nice to have it built in to the backup app. rather then first backing it up and then using Redrushes after.
Is it faster then the Red apps?

/carl

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 28, 2008 at 5:14:15 am

[Carl Skaff] "For you who are using "R3D Data Manager"... have you tryed to backup to LTO? "

Yes, but I do not know what the question is as LTO is not a drag and drop back-up (LTO-3a is). Usually a script is written to write an LTO-3 or 4 tape.

[Carl Skaff] "2 x LTO (r3d, qt-proxy and Prores-QT)(Theese go to storage for long time archive) "

Sort of overkill to include the prorez as you will most likely have a tape of this as well.

[Carl Skaff] "1 x Big raid (r3d, qt-proxy and Prores-QT)(this I take home in case my client drops his copy) "

I use DROBO, which is an excellent product for this application.

[Carl Skaff] "1 x Small client drive (only Prores-QT or Avid MXF's)(this one goes with the client into offline) "

Firewire is enough for this and usually the client provides.

[Carl Skaff] "Has anyone tryed the "render to quicktime"-tool?
Seems nice to have it built in to the backup app. rather then first backing it up and then using Redrushes after.
Is it faster then the Red apps? "

Yes. I have tested this and it is slower. THey are just putting a GUI on a great app like RED RUSHES which is the fastest thing that does not involve command line scripting.

The RED apps are the fastest and smoothest workflows.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]