FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noisy Footage! Please advise...

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aron Kantor
Noisy Footage! Please advise...
on Nov 14, 2008 at 6:15:15 am

Hi,
I shot a project on the Red back in May of this year - it was a couple of builds ago. We shot some night exteriors and some studio shots on black. We shot with all Tungsten Lights (didn't know any better) and shot at 2k.

I've been doing post since then, and unfortunately all my footage is pretty noisy - there's a disturbing blue noise in the dark areas as well. I transcoded in RedAlert after RedCine crashed too many times, both at 5600k and 3200k, all at Rec709, trying to get the best results. I also keep hoping that I can fix it by removing grain and darkening in the color correct, but it's not a perfect fix.

I'm wondering if there's something I am doing wrong with processing the raw files or correcting in post? Here are a few stills to show what I'm talking about:

http://www.dirtyglitter.com/red/

Any input would be terrific. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Noisy Footage! Please advise...
on Nov 14, 2008 at 7:42:35 am

I'm afraid there's not too much you can do. It was both a mistake to use Tungsten and to shoot 2K. A full DE-Bayer from 4K plus downscaling would have reduced noise considerably.

The only thing you can try is filtering the noise in the blue channel only. AE can do this, as well as Color or Graeme's excellent denoiser for Color.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Nov 14, 2008 at 2:28:55 pm

I think there is still a lot you can get out of these images with Color correction. You may also want to export these shots using the REDSPACE color space which tends to be less noisy because of the amount of black REDSPACE leave in the shot.

I did a quick S curve on your footage and I think it can still look pretty good.

David

Peace and Love :)
Read my Blog
http://blogs.creativecow.net/DavidBattistella

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
on Nov 15, 2008 at 8:31:55 am

Sure you can do quite a bit more to cover it up, I was assuming this is the look you need.

Regards,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]