FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Camera...Is it ideal for any environment?

COW Forums : RED Camera

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harcharan Singh
Red Camera...Is it ideal for any environment?
on Nov 7, 2008 at 5:19:49 pm

Hi,
I am from India where RED one has been recently introduced and one regional film was also shot but that also in New Jersy.I am planning to rent one Red one for a feature film here but here are some of my querries :
1.We work here in a very demanding conditions such as humidity,heat,Non ac shooting floors,outdoors etc.So will Red be able to 'survive' in these kind of work environments?

2. Can red get overheated and how to prevent it happening?

3. Is there any chance of CF cards getting corrupted??

4. How can one backup data for 100% safety?

It will be helpful if personal experience is shared .Thks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Red Camera...Is it ideal for any environment?
on Nov 8, 2008 at 4:33:07 pm

1. Never heard of problems with extreme conditions, and don't seem to see any limitations listed on the specs of the camera so I'd imagine you're good to go.

2. Not heard of overheating...it has no moving parts other than those with the lenses, so figure it won't be getting really hot.

3. Sure, but you should back them up immediately to at least two drives for redundancy, and check these files before you erase the files on the cards. That way, you know what you have, and if there is some sort of problem, you'll catch it on the set before you move etc..

4. I'd put them on two dual RAID 1 drives, (then you end up with four copies) Then when you get to the post facility, have them back them up on DLT or LTO tape drives. Or at least to Blu-Ray or DVD's. NEVER change any of the names nor any of the files in any way from what was recorded on the original cards.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

Harcharan Singh
on Nov 8, 2008 at 5:29:58 pm

Hi,
Thks Jerry.But in the Red forum I had seen some guys complaining of heat and using ice bags (I cannot understand how ...) to keep the camera cool.
What is the max temperature the camera can operate on till it shuts down?
THks
Harchu

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 8, 2008 at 5:35:31 pm

As I said, there is no spec from RED on heat and shutdown etc.. I'd imagine that since it's black metal, keeping it from direct sunlight if it's really hot outside might keep it a lot cooler. I'd not be putting ice bags on it though... what if they leaked?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 9, 2008 at 4:01:41 am

[Harcharan Singh] " I had seen some guys complaining of heat and using ice bags (I cannot understand how ...) to keep the camera cool"

Hey H,

all electronics are susceptible to heat in excess of 110F or 44C - RED is no exception.

remember that all cameras need to avoid sand and dust....

the trick to the "ice packs" are to use the ones available in the US and EU for sports related children's injury- look in the area near the football pads and shoes - they use chemical packs that chill rapidly when mixed- I buy them for about 1 USD each in packs of 5 or more and they are meant to last about 1 hour

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Russell Lasson
on Nov 9, 2008 at 4:41:39 am

[Harcharan Singh] "1.We work here in a very demanding conditions such as humidity,heat,Non ac shooting floors,outdoors etc.So will Red be able to 'survive' in these kind of work environments? "

The only thing I have to mention is when using the RED-Drive, if you're bouncing around (like filming hand held in the back of a moving truck), chances are, you're going to drop some frames. The nice thing is that the camera will let you know that you've dropped frames. To avoid this, shoot with solid state media instead.

[Harcharan Singh] "2. Can red get overheated and how to prevent it happening? "

Really the only time I've heard of overheating was when the camera operator had turned the fan off. Really it's better to leave the fan on high. It turns off when you're shooting, but turns back on when you're done.

[Harcharan Singh] "3. Is there any chance of CF cards getting corrupted??"

Yes, but it's very unlikely.

[Harcharan Singh] "4. How can one backup data for 100% safety? "

Backup on-set to two places using a program like R3D Data Manager or Shot Put Red Edition. Also, let someone familiar with moving files do the work. You wouldn't let just anyone load/download film right? Same with digital footage.

-Russ

Russell Lasson
Ridgeline Digital Cinema Mastering
Universal Post
Salt Lake City, UT

Return to posts index

Harcharan Singh
Re: Red Camera...Carl Zeiss MKI lens set for RED?
on Nov 9, 2008 at 5:07:20 pm

Thanks to all for your valued opinion.Just one more question :
How good will be Carl Zeiss MKI lenses with Red?(I am getting a good price from a seller..Lenses are in great condition)
Thks

Return to posts index

Uli Plank
Re: Red Camera...Carl Zeiss MKI lens set for RED?
on Nov 10, 2008 at 8:51:41 pm

We have a set of the same lenses, While they are not as good as a modern lens (even the realtively cheap Red zoom 18-50mm is resolving better), they still make very nice pictures in the hands of an experienced DoP.

Regarding overheating: Yes, of course it can happen, there are about 75 watts to be blown out of the camera.
But if you don't mind the noise, switch the fan full on under extreme conditions and protect the camera with an umbrella from direct sun. I wouldn't advise cold packs, since they cause condensation in a humid climate that could drip into the camera. Plus, a cold pack can quickly become a hot pack if you don't watch it. The camera is cooling by conduction via it's body too.

Hope this helps,

Uli

Director of the Institute of Media Research (IMF) at Braunschweig University of Arts

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]